Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Isha Garg <is...@orkash.com> on 2011/03/15 05:43:33 UTC

background merge hit exception

Hi,
          I am using solr 4.0.for indexing but6 i am getting exception
org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: background merge hit exception:
_cy(4.0):Cv95796 _di(4.0):Cv4565 into _dk [optimize]
  java.io.IOException: background merge hit exception: _cy(4.0):Cv95796
_di(4.0):Cv4565 into _dk [optimize]     at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:1638)
at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:1563)
     at
org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2.commit(DirectUpdateHandler2.java:331)
     at
org.apache.solr.update.processor.RunUpdateProcessor.processCommit(RunUpdateProcessorFactory.java:85)
     at
org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerUtils.handleCommit(RequestHandlerUtils.java:107)
     at
org.apache.solr.handler.ContentStreamHandlerBase.handleRequestBody(ContentStreamHandlerBase.java:49)
     at
org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:129)
     at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:1298)     at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.execute(SolrDispatchFilter.java:340)
     at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:240)
     at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1212)
     at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:399)
     at
org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
     at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)
     at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:766)
     at
org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:450)
     at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
     at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
     at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)     at
org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:542)
     at
org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:945)
     at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.ja

my index size has reached 34GB (having 103890 documents)
Please find solr.xml and solr.config attached with mail.Can anyone help
me out .

Re: background merge hit exception

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
The stack trace indicates there's an issue with optimizing. How are
you kicking off
optimizing? Is it automatic or manual?

34G for an index with that many documents does seem excessive. Are you
re-indexing the same
content with the same unique key? In other words do you have a large
number of deleted
documents in your index? You can tell by looking at your admin page,
"schema browser"
link and see if MaxDoc and NumDocs are wildly different.

Is there any chance that more than one process is writing to your index?

Best
Erick

Posted by Isha Garg <is...@orkash.com>.