Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marten Lehmann <le...@cnm.de> on 2007/10/15 20:00:51 UTC

Strange access log entry repeating

Hello,

I already posted this into apache-users, but it probably is too much
httpd-internal, I haven't received an answer yet.

I have an ssl host for the domain test.com, configured with these lines
in httpd.conf:

Listen 1.2.3.4:80
NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
         ServerName test.com
</VirtualHost>

Listen 1.2.3.4:443

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443>
         ServerName test.com
         SSLEngine On
         SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/certs/test.com.key
         SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/certs/test.com.crt
</VirtualHost>

Everything worked fine before I enabled ssl. After that, these lines
occure every now and then, but always about once per second:

test.com 1.2.3.4 - - [11/Oct/2007:19:11:25 +0200] "GET /" 400 478 "-" "-"

It definetely started in the moment I stopped and restarted apache after
I made the URL configuration. It is a multi homed environment and these
entries appear for no other host (there is no other ssl host on this
server). Any ideas?

I have checked everything, there is nothing externally calling this URL.
It seems that apache is calling the URL on its own (maybe it is trying
to resolv something?). I'm not that much into the apache details to have
a clue.

I'm using httpd-2.2.4. If you don't have an idea, I can maybe track it
down a bit further. But so far this simpelst thing I can explain is:
With a pretty standard httpd.conf there is no long entry unless someone
actually calls a URL. But once I include the configuration lines above
and restart apache, strange log lines appear. Note: There is always an
error 400. And the URL called is always "GET /", not even "GET /
HTTP/1.0" or so.

Kind regards
Marten

Re: Strange access log entry repeating

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Later versions of 2.2 (starting with 2.2.7) will have Apache
send 'OPTIONS *' instead of the 'GET /' which will make
it easier for you to exclude those.

Posted by Marten Lehmann <le...@cnm.de>.
Hello,

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 10/15/07, Marten Lehmann <le...@cnm.de> wrote:

> I'm using httpd-2.2.4. If you don't have an idea, I can maybe track it
> down a bit further. But so far this simpelst thing I can explain is:
> With a pretty standard httpd.conf there is no long entry unless someone
> actually calls a URL. But once I include the configuration lines above
> and restart apache, strange log lines appear. Note: There is always an
> error 400. And the URL called is always "GET /", not even "GET /
> HTTP/1.0" or so.

See:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/InternalDummyConnection

When the default vhost is SSL, you get the 400 because apache doesn't
bother doing ssl negotiation -- it just sends an ordinary http
request. But this doesn't matter since the request only needs to wake
up the process, nothing else.

Joshua.