Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> on 2015/07/29 15:18:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] Reviewers in commit message

Hi all,

As a general rule, we credit reviewers in the commit message. This is good.
However, it is not clear to me if there are guidelines on who should be
included as a reviewer (please correct me if I am wrong). I can think of a
few options:

   1. Anyone that commented on the patch (in the pull request or Review
   Board)
   2. The ones that have reviewed and approved the patch (+1, LGTM, Ship
   it, etc.)
   3. A more sophisticated system that differentiates between someone who
   reviews and approves a patch versus someone who simply comments on aspects
   of the patch [1]

On the surface, `1` seems appealing because it 's simple and credits people
who do partial reviews. The issue, however, is that people (including
myself) may not want to be tagged as a reviewer if they left a comment or
two, but didn't review the change properly. Option `2` is still simple and
it avoids this issue.

As such, I lean towards option `2`, although `3` would work for me too (the
additional complexity is the main downside).

Thoughts?

Best,
Ismael

[1] I don't think we should go this far, but the Linux Kernel is an extreme
example of this with `Signed-off-by`, `Acked-by`, `Cc`, `Reviewed-by`,
`Tested-by`, `Suggested-by`, `Reported-by`, `Fixes`, etc. More details in
their documentation:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

Re: [DISCUSS] Reviewers in commit message

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 6:04 PM, Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> I wasn't aware of this history, thanks for explaining!

No problem. :)

In most Apache projects I contributed to, the list of things that are
> stated in "reviewed by" are implied in a committer committing the
> patch. Reviewers are there to help the committer make the decision
> (thats why I sometimes mention "@ewencp please take a look and let me
> know what you think" in a JIRA), but the responsibility is on the
> committer, not the reviewers. Reviewing by community members is
> considered a valued contribution, and therefore "acknowledged" in the
> commit message (or sometimes in the JIRA).

Understood.

If the intent is to avoid surprises (which is a good idea), once we
> decide on how we do things we can clarify in the contributor guide
> (even if the decision is to keep current method, we should document
> it)

Excellent, this is indeed the main thing for me.

Best,
Ismael

Re: [DISCUSS] Reviewers in commit message

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Gwen,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Parth,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Parth Brahmbhatt <
pbrahmbhatt@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> +1 on Gwen¹s suggestion.
>
> Consider this as my thank you for all the reviews everyone has done in
> past and are going to do in future. Don¹t make me say thanks on every
> single commit. Introducing another process when the project has > 50 PR
> open pretty much all the time is not really going to help.

I think you misunderstood. This is done by the person who merges the pull
request via the merge tool. You, as the creator of the PR, don't have to do
anything. Search for "Reviewers" in the following for example:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/e43c9aff92c57da6abb0c1d0af3431a550110a89

It is already part of the process (Gwen actually asked for this to be added
to the merge tool):

There is no new process being suggested. It's just a clarification on
something that already exists.

Best,
Ismael

Re: [DISCUSS] Reviewers in commit message

Posted by Parth Brahmbhatt <pb...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 on Gwen¹s suggestion.

Consider this as my thank you for all the reviews everyone has done in
past and are going to do in future. Don¹t make me say thanks on every
single commit. Introducing another process when the project has > 50 PR
open pretty much all the time is not really going to help.

Thanks
Parth

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.
My two cents: