Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by John Duprey <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/19 15:52:35 UTC

Re: Svn transaction failure due to wrong permissions on creation.

Hello,

A number of you have asked if I ever resolved the subversion
permission problem as I reported it here:
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2005-09/0277.shtml

After trying several versions of Apache and Subversion (from both RPM
and source), I resorted to a complete OS upgrade.  Our admin upgraded
from RHEL3 to RHEL4, updated the server's bios, and I reinstalled
subversion and Apache from stock RHEL4 RPMS.  Now everything works
fine.

After many many many months of trying to figure out what was wrong,
this shot in the dark appears to have fixed things.  Our subversion
repository has been stable since we did this.

I wish I could have identified the problem.  I wasn't the only person
with the problem ( several people contacted me with the exact same
problem wondering if I had fixed it ).  The problem did seem specific
to a version of Linux and one guy was using Solaris, I believe.

For those people that e-mailed me, I apologize for the delay in
response.  Hopefully you found acceptable solutions to your problem as
well.  For those on the mailing lists that tried to help me, thank you
very much.  For those that still have this problem, and the time to
pursue it, I would encourage you to work with Apache and subversion
developers to attempt to identify the root of this problem.  I
realize, now, that it is probably neither an Apache or subversion bug.

Thank you,
-John

Re: Svn transaction failure due to wrong permissions on creation.

Posted by "Serguei I. Ivantsov" <ma...@gsc-game.kiev.ua>.
Hello!

I found another component of web server that have the similar bug.
It is mod_php both 4.x and 5.x

Re: Svn transaction failure due to wrong permissions on creation.

Posted by Manuel Vacelet <ma...@gmail.com>.
2006/1/19, John Duprey <jo...@gmail.com>:
> A number of you have asked if I ever resolved the subversion
> permission problem as I reported it here:
> http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2005-09/0277.shtml
>
> After trying several versions of Apache and Subversion (from both RPM
> and source), I resorted to a complete OS upgrade.  Our admin upgraded
> from RHEL3 to RHEL4, updated the server's bios, and I reinstalled
> subversion and Apache from stock RHEL4 RPMS.  Now everything works
> fine.
>
> After many many many months of trying to figure out what was wrong,
> this shot in the dark appears to have fixed things.  Our subversion
> repository has been stable since we did this.
>
> I wish I could have identified the problem.  I wasn't the only person
> with the problem ( several people contacted me with the exact same
> problem wondering if I had fixed it ).  The problem did seem specific
> to a version of Linux and one guy was using Solaris, I believe.

Hello all,

I answer to this old mail because I was facing the same bug and I
found what was wrong.

Actually, in my case, this is neither a subversion nor an apache bug
but a php one. A php script was setting an umask without execution
rights (0111) and due to this bug, the apache process kept this umask
and when a subversion commit request tried to create a directory it
was unusable (0111 umask -> no execution rights on created files).

This problem was solved by adding a <?php umask(0022); ?> script in
auto_append_file directive of php.ini.

It seems that this bug will be fixed in next php5.1 release:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=36630

I hope this message could help someone thanks to mailing list archives!
-- Manuel

[users@httpd] Re: Svn transaction failure due to wrong permissions on creation.

Posted by Manuel Vacelet <ma...@gmail.com>.
2006/1/19, John Duprey <jo...@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> A number of you have asked if I ever resolved the subversion
> permission problem as I reported it here:
> http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2005-09/0277.shtml
>
> After trying several versions of Apache and Subversion (from both RPM
> and source), I resorted to a complete OS upgrade.  Our admin upgraded
> from RHEL3 to RHEL4, updated the server's bios, and I reinstalled
> subversion and Apache from stock RHEL4 RPMS.  Now everything works
> fine.
>
> After many many many months of trying to figure out what was wrong,
> this shot in the dark appears to have fixed things.  Our subversion
> repository has been stable since we did this.

Hi John, lists,

I already asked users@svn list about a similar issue (see my message
here: http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-01/0101.shtml).

And today I have to admit: I'm lost.

* The problem only appears on my production server (the test one with
the same configuration & soft version is rock solid). -> Not easy for
debug.

* Apache restart seems a good therapy for this problem.

* Quick statistics do not highlight a link between the number of
access and the number of errors:
Eg. today:
4135 accesses, 3 errors
yesterday:
11097 accesses, 8 errors
tuesday:
17407 accesses, 2 errors
monday:
12672 accesses, 0 errors (yeah !)

* I restarted the production server: change nothing.

* I read subversion part of the code that create transaction
directories and -correct my if I missed sth- the only thing that can
influence directory creation (to remove execution right in my case)
apache umask.

I ready to run test in order to debug this situation, but since it is
on a production server used by hundred of people, I have to do it
carefuly.

Manuel

Ps: I someone reply, (s)he may want to add dev@subversion.tigris.org,
or users@subversion.tigris.org in CC. I re-send this message to
users@httpd because my first message was bounced (I wasn't
registered). Thanks.

Re: Svn transaction failure due to wrong permissions on creation.

Posted by Manuel Vacelet <ma...@gmail.com>.
2006/1/19, John Duprey <jo...@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> A number of you have asked if I ever resolved the subversion
> permission problem as I reported it here:
> http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2005-09/0277.shtml
>
> After trying several versions of Apache and Subversion (from both RPM
> and source), I resorted to a complete OS upgrade.  Our admin upgraded
> from RHEL3 to RHEL4, updated the server's bios, and I reinstalled
> subversion and Apache from stock RHEL4 RPMS.  Now everything works
> fine.
>
> After many many many months of trying to figure out what was wrong,
> this shot in the dark appears to have fixed things.  Our subversion
> repository has been stable since we did this.

Hi John, lists,

I already asked users@svn list about a similar issue (see my message
here: http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-01/0101.shtml).

And today I have to admit: I'm lost.

* The problem only appears on my production server (the test one with
the same configuration & soft version is rock solid). -> Not easy for
debug.

* Apache restart seems a good therapy for this problem.

* Quick statistics do not highlight a link between the number of
access and the number of errors:
Eg. today:
4135 accesses, 3 errors
yesterday:
11097 accesses, 8 errors
tuesday:
17407 accesses, 2 errors
monday:
12672 accesses, 0 errors (yeah !)

* I restarted the production server: change nothing.

* I read subversion part of the code that create transaction
directories and -correct my if I missed sth- the only thing that can
influence directory creation (to remove execution right in my case)
apache umask.

I ready to run test in order to debug this situation, but since it is
on a production server used by hundred of people, I have to do it
carefuly.

Manuel

Ps: I someone reply, please keep my in CC, I don't read all lists.

Re: Svn transaction failure due to wrong permissions on creation.

Posted by Manuel Vacelet <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manuel Vacelet <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manuel Vacelet <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Serguei I. Ivantsov" <ma...@gsc-game.kiev.ua>.