Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com> on 2019/03/20 16:54:18 UTC

Added a "Security" page to website with simple, OW-specific instructions for vuln. reporting

While filling out the Maturity Model, I noted that several questions were
asked around our community's seriousness in addressing user security
issues/reporting.  However, our website (footer) had a "security" link
that simply sent you to a general Apache site which has you contact the
"Apache security team" which really has no ties (or even process) to
connect it back to the OpenWhisk (or any Incubator) project.

I found a nicer approach taken by a recently grad. project which I liked
which was to provide a more personal page from our website to display on
clicking the "security" link on any footer.  It instructs the user to
submit suspected vuln. issues directly to the PMC private email list
(which is the desired process) and hopefully gets the immediate attention
of our PMC whose members can quickly investigate and instigate the
internal Apache processes as needed.

Priti kindly reviewed/merged the new page for me and you can find it here:
https://openwhisk.apache.org/security.html

Please comment if you feel anything needs to be added, but this actually
is complete and succinct IMO.

Kind regards,
Matt

Re: Added a "Security" page to website with simple, OW-specific instructions for vuln. reporting

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Let’s not create a 3rd

- Carlos Santana
@csantanapr

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Added a "Security" page to website with simple, OW-specific instructions for vuln. reporting

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
It can exist

Please let’s not create it

- Carlos Santana
@csantanapr

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
For security reports, ASF already have a process let's not improvise

Reported should send email to security@apache.org
The process explains how to handle artifacts to reproduce the vulnerability

Security will inform the PMC private list and forward the email

--cs

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: Added a "Security" page to website with simple, OW-specific instructions for vuln. reporting

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 3:37 PM Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> ...Changed it yesterday to use the gen. ASF security email ...

Thanks! https://openwhisk.apache.org/security.html and
https://openwhisk.apache.org/ includes a "security" link at the bottom
which is good.

-Bertrand

Re: Added a "Security" page to website with simple, OW-specific instructions for vuln. reporting

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com>.
Changed it yesterday to use the gen. ASF security email ... and yes I was
following completed maturity models for graduated projects that used
private...

From:   Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
To:     OpenWhisk Dev <de...@openwhisk.apache.org>
Date:   03/21/2019 08:14 AM
Subject:        Re: Added a "Security" page to website with simple,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 7:21 PM Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> ...As indicated, they are directed to use our private (PMC) email list
as
> they should do by Apache process... having the new page makes this very
> clear...

Did you find ASF instructions to use private@ for security reports?

I think the recommendation is to either use security@apache.org or a
project-specific security@ list - if you look at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.apache.org_security_projects.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=6zQLM7Gc0Sv1iwayKOKa4_SFxRIxS478q2gZlAJj4Zw&m=0R6F5Oxle2Ld9jyg48c26gsQ-46GIAl9Nzx2vKG_GLo&s=OKi7G5IbujZg_fen417awjeHIKacw1qsdC823tLV8dw&e=
all addresses are
security@

The goal is for the ASF security team to have an overview on security
reports, to be able to take action if a PMC becomes unresponsive. I
*think* security@ lists are handled in a way that provides that
oversight, but private@ lists are not.

At this point my recommendation is to use security@apache.org until a
project-specific security@ list is needed, if volume increases for
example.

-Bertrand

Re: Added a "Security" page to website with simple, OW-specific instructions for vuln. reporting

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

http://www.apache.org/security/projects.html all addresses are

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com>.
As indicated, they are directed to use our private (PMC) email list as
they should do by Apache process... having the new page makes this very
clear...

ASF encourages the use of a PMCs private list, but also provides a
security email list for full projects... as we are an Incubator we do not
get one and clearly reading the page we pointed to previously (and still
link to) we are NOT included which would cause users issues decided
how/where to begin.  What I have added is correct and consistent with
other projects.

From:   Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   03/20/2019 12:52 PM
OW-specific instructions for vuln. reporting

We went through a case last year where a company reported a vulnerability
to us through security@a.o and we cc'ed them on all the communications. I
think that worked well. Are you suggesting we have our own project
security
mailing list that goes to both our private list and security@a.o?

-r

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Added a "Security" page to website with simple, OW-specific instructions for vuln. reporting

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.
Looks good to me - thanks Matt.

-r