Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Chethan Pandarinath <cp...@unity.ncsu.edu> on 2001/05/25 05:19:02 UTC

compilation: libperl.a

Hi all,

I've been trying to compile apache with mod_perl and mod_php support.
I've been following the instructions from the "mod_perl Guide"
[http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html#mod_perl_and_mod_php] (and
just assuming that it's similar for php3 and php4).

I haven't been able to get mod_perl to compile in (ie make test fails
for mod_perl, server never "warms up").  One thing that's confused me is
the line in the configuration of Apache right before the build:
  --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a

Unfortunately even after I make mod_perl, I don't get any libperl.a file
in that directory.  The closest thing I get is a libperl.module file.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Sorry if this is an old topic; I searched the archives but couldn't find
anything helpful.

Yours,
Chethan

--
Chethan Pandarinath
Senior, Computer Engineering & Science, Technology and Society

RE: compilation: libperl.a

Posted by Chethan Pandarinath <cp...@unity.ncsu.edu>.
All,

Stas is absolutely right; the steps on the guide are fine.  I had seen
an error doing compile but mistook it for a warning; therefore, the
compile never finished.  So if you ever notice that the libperl.a file
is missing, it's a sure sign that your apache compile is not completing.

Have a great day.

-Chethan

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Chethan Pandarinath wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to compile apache with mod_perl and mod_php support.
> I've been following the instructions from the "mod_perl Guide"
> [http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html#mod_perl_and_mod_php] (and
> just assuming that it's similar for php3 and php4).
>
> I haven't been able to get mod_perl to compile in (ie make test fails
> for mod_perl, server never "warms up").  One thing that's confused me
is
> the line in the configuration of Apache right before the build:
>   --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a

I've compiled php4 and mod_perl following these notes two days ago for
the
book:

Are you sure you did follow the steps exactly? ( you have adjust php3 to
php4 for the latest version)/

> Unfortunately even after I make mod_perl, I don't get any libperl.a
file
> in that directory.  The closest thing I get is a libperl.module file.
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Sorry if this is an old topic; I searched the archives but couldn't
find
> anything helpful.

it's on topic.

Here is a fresh scenario cleaned up for the book, but I think that it's
pretty much the same as in the guide:

=head2 Installing mod_perl with mod_php

The following is a simple installation scenario of a combination
mod_perl and mod_php build for the Apache server. Since we aren't
going to configure custom installation directory, Apache will use the
default I</usr/local/apache> directory.

=over

=item 1

Download the latest stable source releases:

  Apache:   http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/
  mod_perl: http://perl.apache.org/dist/
  PHP:      http://www.php.net/downloads.php

=item 1

Un-pack:

  panic% tar xvzf mod_perl-x.xx
  panic% tar xvzf apache_x.x.x.tar.gz
  panic% tar xvzf php-x.x.xx.tar.gz

=item 1

Configure Apache.

  panic% cd apache_x.x.xx
  panic% ./configure

=item 1

Build mod_perl:

  panic% cd ../mod_perl-x.xx
  panic% perl Makefile.PL APACHE_SRC=../apache_x.x.xx/src NO_HTTPD=1 \
    USE_APACI=1 PREP_HTTPD=1 EVERYTHING=1
  panic% make

=item 1

Build mod_php:

  panic% cd ../php-x.x.xx
  panic% ./configure --with-apache=../apache_x.x.xx \
     --with-mysql --enable-track-vars
  panic% make
  panic# make install

[F] mod_php doesn't come with I<make test> suit, so we don't run it [/F]

=item 1

Reconfigure Apache to use mod_perl and PHP and build it:

  panic% cd ../apache_x.x.xx
  panic% ./configure \
     --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
     --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
  panic% make

[F] If you are building PHP3, use I<php3/libphp3.a>. [/F]

=item 1

Test and install mod_perl

  panic% cd ../mod_perl-x.xx
  panic% make test
  panic# make install.

=item 1

Complete the Apache installation.

  panic# cd ../apache_x.x.xx
  panic# make install

=back

Now when you start the server:

  panic# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

you should see something like this in
I</usr/local/apache/logs/error_log>:

  [Fri May 18 11:10:31 2001] [notice]
  Apache/1.3.19 (Unix) PHP/4.0.5 mod_perl/1.25
  configured -- resuming normal operations

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://eXtropia.com/

Re: compilation: libperl.a

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.