Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Thanny <th...@wtgroupllc.com> on 2012/04/07 20:49:36 UTC

ActiveMQ on two (or more) servers, automatic failover

I will soon be replicating everything running on one web server to another,
and using a pair of LVS machines to perform automatic failover.

ActiveMQ is being used to handle order completion messages, which end up
going out through web services, e-mail, and even just writing files to a
network file system (for FTP pickup).  I don't know all the details, as I
didn't develop the sites and their backends.

As I see it, from my initial foray into the documentation, I have two
general options:

1)  Have each server run an isolated ActiveMQ instance that handles messages
from the applications on the same server, and uses a separate database.

2)  Have two instances of ActiveMQ that can each handle requests from either
web server, which would handle the case where just ActiveMQ itself got hosed
for one reason or another one one server, and also ensure that no queued
messages were lost.

A complication is that database connections will also be handled through LVS
with automatic failover, so ActiveMQ won't know which database server it's
connected to (out of two MySQL servers in master-master replication).  This
means that it's not acceptable for ActiveMQ to maintain a table lock, as it
does by default (something that also prevents normal database backups).

So my question is this:  Can ActiveMQ work as in option 2 without needing a
database lock of any kind to coordinate between the two copies?  If so, what
parts of the documentation should I look more closely at to get things
configured correctly?  Do the two instances need shared file system storage
(which I can accomplish with something like GlusterFS)?

Thanks in advance for any answers.