Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by David Mollitor <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/03 05:03:52 UTC

My Contributions

Hey Team,

I have very much appreciated all of the support and merging of my PRs.  I
just wanted to clarify / get clarification of the ZK release process.

I'm not in a position to drive any big changes or big big fixes into the
product.  I'm just trying to keep the code clean, keeping down the lines of
code. and to hopefully preventing others from making mistakes,... and maybe
add a percentage point or two on performance.

Unless I suggest otherwise, I intend all of my work to be pushed into
master.  No need to back port it to existing released versions.  Typically,
only big fixes are added to such releases.

All the more reason to not back port my work to past releases, several big
users are consuming changes from trunk anyway.  So my changes are being
consumed pretty quickly and do not need to go out in previous releases to
add value.

Thanks,
David

Re: My Contributions

Posted by Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi David,

Thanks for your contributions!
We consider the patch committed if it should be backported or not. In my
opinion if a contributor finds a bug/improvement to do, we can't expect
him/her to know what branches this should be committed to. Of course if the
author takes the time to dig through the different branches and suggests to
backport or not, than that's great, but just creating a patch against
master works just as well :) And of course sometimes (a great example is
security fixes) we just automatically backport the change to all (or just
some) branch still maintained.

And one more thing: anyone is in a position to drive big changes, ZooKeeper
is open source, contributors are welcomed :)
(Of course depending on how big a change, it might be worth starting on
this dev list to vote / give a heads up / ask for help).

Regards,
Norbert