Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nael Mohammad <nm...@neomar.com> on 2001/09/06 07:17:02 UTC

HP and Compaq Merger makes Linux a huge winner

This is off the topic, but I could not resist posting this interesting take
on Linux: Read Below

HP-Compaq's Great Software Challenge
What will CEO Carly Fiorina do about its gaggle of operating systems? The
decision could confirm her vision -- and make Linux a huge winner

http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/sep2001/pi2001096_399.htm

Re: HP and Compaq Merger makes Linux a huge winner

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Tim O'Neil" <to...@xythos.com> wrote:

> At 08:46 AM 9/6/2001, you wrote:
>> "Nael Mohammad" <nm...@neomar.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/sep2001/pi2001096_399.htm
>>
>> Quoting: "HPUX (Hewlett-Packard's version) and Tru64 (Compaq's entry), Sun's
>> Solaris, and IBM's AIX. Except for Solaris, all are slowly losing market
>> share. No one thinks proprietary Unix systems have much of a future, save
>> the folks at Sun Microsystems (SUNW )."
>>
>> My note as a fellow Solaris 8 advocate: "Just because it's so freakin'
>> beautiful compared to ANY other Unix-based operating system out there"...
>
> Some might even offer that Solaris isn't exactly top of the heap
> any more.

Hmm... Propose me a valid alternative for x86 platforms, and will be more
than happy to switch (well, apart from BeOS, my second big love!)

Well, I know, it's not a microkernel, and in theory, HURD should kick asses,
but it's not ready for prime time just yet. I hope in Debian's effort to
bring it to life. (GNU HURD more or less is like Mach-O, OS/X kernel, and
IMO, the _best_ kernel on this planet, despite what Linus says)

    Pier

Re: HP and Compaq Merger makes Linux a huge winner

Posted by Tim O'Neil <to...@xythos.com>.

Re: mac question from yesterday

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Thomas Cherry" <ce...@io.com> wrote:

> somebody ask a question about images not showing up under a few mac
> browsers, and I wanted to know if this person solved the problem.
> It could have been two days ago, but I really thought that it was yesterday.

And I replied... Never had the problem (and I have quite a few Macs running
Tomcat around the house, even a MacOS/9 running Tomcat 3.x - pretty amazing
indeed!)

    Pier

Re: mac question from yesterday

Posted by Thomas Cherry <ce...@io.com>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Thomas Cherry <ce...@io.com>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Nael Mohammad" <nm...@neomar.com> wrote:

> http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/sep2001/pi2001096_399.htm

Quoting: "HPUX (Hewlett-Packard's version) and Tru64 (Compaq's entry), Sun's
Solaris, and IBM's AIX. Except for Solaris, all are slowly losing market
share. No one thinks proprietary Unix systems have much of a future, save
the folks at Sun Microsystems (SUNW )."

My note as a fellow Solaris 8 advocate: "Just because it's so freakin'
beautiful compared to ANY other Unix-based operating system out there"...

:) :)

    Pier