Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/04 05:19:39 UTC

FYI: I plan to finish the unasyncing this weekend

Many of you know about the removal of the async interfaces. This has been
going on for a while, but it is really important for the long term health
of the project. These interfaces represent code people usually don't want
to touch and stacktraces folks don't want to see.

Eventhough we missed the deprecation-based goal of version 1.7, we
shouldn't punt to 2.x as this work actually sets us up to do something
notable in 2.x.

I understand that in my absence it looked like a hill of work, but I intend
to own finishing this, including removing the complex code that supported
it. I have full confidence I can complete even labs this weekend.

That said, I would appreciate committers watching on irc if github if you
can, as I will need some +1s to finish this off. Unless all providers are
moved off async, I can't remove the debty internal code.. so this is
critical.

Long story short.. hope to see some of you this weekend and let's finish
this thing!

-A

Re: FYI: I plan to finish the unasyncing this weekend

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
Alright.. final lap.

2 pull requests with a little todos on labs once they are merged.

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/555 < remove async from Fallback
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/554 < remove io executor

These in, we have completed the most decrufting effort, originally
aimed for 1.6, but hey.. I know I was awol. I'm sure Gaul will check
me, but this is in total somewhere in the order of 10s of thousands of
lines of unwanted code gone this weekend. Now, we can focus on the
code we want!

I'll check in the morning, and if these are a go, I will raise pull
requests to tidy up any of the subordinate repos.

-A

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.