Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Eddy Vernay <ev...@hexaflux.com> on 2000/07/28 11:56:27 UTC

Lifetime session with Apache::Session module version 1.51

Hi,

I have a problem with the Apache::Session module.

Before, I was using the version 0.15 of this module. In this version, we can
use the SESSION_LIFETIME variable to define how long the session stays valid
after the last request to the server.

I tried to update the Apache::Session module with the last version (1.51).
But I can't find the same variable, either anyone else which can do the same
thing.

Is this fonction not supported anymore by the Apache::Session module? And
what must I do to use it if it still exists?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Eddy

Re: Lifetime session with Apache::Session module version 1.51

Posted by Piers Cawley <pd...@bofh.org.uk>.
"Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org> writes:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Eddy Vernay wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem with the Apache::Session module.
> >
> > Before, I was using the version 0.15 of this module. In this version, we can
> > use the SESSION_LIFETIME variable to define how long the session stays valid
> > after the last request to the server.
> >
> > I tried to update the Apache::Session module with the last version (1.51).
> > But I can't find the same variable, either anyone else which can do the same
> > thing.
> >
> > Is this fonction not supported anymore by the Apache::Session module? And
> > what must I do to use it if it still exists?
>
> The function no longer exists.  Apache::Session does not pretend to manage
> the interaction between your web server and your clients, only your web
> server and your backing store.

If you are using a database that allows it (I use Postgres) you could
add a timestamp to your table definition that gets automatically set
to the current time whenever anything modifies the table. You could
have your cleanup handler do a

   'DELETE FROM sessions WHERE ((now() - timestamp) > foo);

type thing...

Or subclass Apache::Session and have it do what you want.

--
Piers

Re: Lifetime session with Apache::Session module version 1.51

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org>.
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Eddy Vernay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with the Apache::Session module.
>
> Before, I was using the version 0.15 of this module. In this version, we can
> use the SESSION_LIFETIME variable to define how long the session stays valid
> after the last request to the server.
>
> I tried to update the Apache::Session module with the last version (1.51).
> But I can't find the same variable, either anyone else which can do the same
> thing.
>
> Is this fonction not supported anymore by the Apache::Session module? And
> what must I do to use it if it still exists?

The function no longer exists.  Apache::Session does not pretend to manage
the interaction between your web server and your clients, only your web
server and your backing store.

-jwb