Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Womack <wo...@adobe.com> on 2005/04/26 23:08:34 UTC

next log4j release?

We started talking about this a while back, but the thread died after some
initial input on the work to be accomplished.  So, I am bringing it up
again.  From the previous discussion, we had the following items (please
speak up if I have forgotten anything).  I have put names next to items
(items that person mentioned prev):

- New Feature Related (complete, review, cleanup, document, more tests):
 - Plugins (Mark)
 - Receivers (Mark)
 - Watchdogs (Mark)
 - JoranConfigurator (Ceki, Curt)
 - Filters and LBEL (Ceki)
 - PatternLayout (Ceki)
 - LoggingEvent (Ceki)

- Performance Related
 - Analysis, comparing current performance against 1.2.9. (Elias)
 - LoggingEvent serialization (Ceki)
 - Concurrency appenders (Elias)
 (from previous discussions, I believe there is probably more for this
category)

- Test Related:
 - Integration tests with Jetty and Tomcat (Ceki)
 - Cross LS project compatibility (Curt)

Documentation Related:
 - Better documentation (Ceki, et al)
 - API differences since v1.2.9 documentation (Mark) (there used to be a
tool out there one could use to generate a JavaDoc that showed all of the
differences between 2 versions of a library.  Hopefully I can dig it up.)

Is there anything else?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't think a June release is
doable with just this list of items.  We are pretty much at the beginning of
May at this point.

I would like to propose that we plan for a mid-July beta-1 release.  Focus
until then would be completion of all New Feature related tasks, giving us
time to test and consolidate that work.  Performance and Test Related items
can also be worked on during that time.  Some of that work can spill into
the beta time period, but no major api/class changes should happen after
start of beta, so if you are thinking of major changes, now is the time to
air them.

I'm going to continue to drive this as I feel that a new log4j release needs
to happen before the end of this year.  I think we could make a September
release candidate.

-Mark

RE: next log4j release?

Posted by Mark Womack <wo...@adobe.com>.
Yeah, this is it.  Thanks, Paul.

-Mark

Re: next log4j release?

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

RE: next log4j release?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Mark, thanks for  your initiative. Another item is SLF4J integration, which
happens to be the next item on my plate.

At 01:43 4/27/2005, you wrote:
>Hey Curt,
>
>We can put the issues into Bugzilla after we have hashed through it some
>here on the list.  That being said, another item to add:
>
>- Other:
>  - Review and resolve open bugs
>
>-Mark

Ceki Gülcü