Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com> on 2000/04/11 14:21:18 UTC

SVG status

The code now compiles properly using the build.xml.

The current source is available from
ftp://ftp.aftexsw.com/aftex/java/fop/src.jar
java svg bindings, must be in the class path
ftp://ftp.aftexsw.com/aftex/java/fop/w3c.jar

This is the document showing examples etc.
http://www.aftexsw.com/aftex/products/java/fop/Architecture.pdf

Keiron

RE: XT and FOP

Posted by Dave Pawson <da...@virgin.net>.
 Karen wrote:

     Things like "from-parent('propname')" obviously need to
     communicate with
     the FO tree builder.
<snip/>

     I'm interested in hearing the opinions of others in the project as to
     the utility of this work. Would you be interested in having me make it
     available?

Personal opinion Karen, too close to full integration.

<fo:block
start-indent=
'{fop:from-parent("start-indent") + 1pc}'>

Which is getting pretty close to a mod to XSL?

It may be 'useful', but perhaps an extension is the way
to introduce it rather than as such a close tie between
two implementations?

Regards, DaveP

XT and FOP

Posted by Karen Lease <kl...@club-internet.fr>.
Hello all,

I've done some testing with some modifications in XT (the expr package)
which allow it to directly handle absolute unit expressions, so that one
can say
<fo:block font-size="{$bodyfont * 1.5}"> and similar things. I've also
played around with XT's extension function mechanism to test some of the
property-based functions defined in the current version of the XSL spec.
Things like "from-parent('propname')" obviously need to communicate with
the FO tree builder. So I've made an extension function to do this by
having it communicate with FOP's TreeBuilder. I had to make a few
changes to FOP to do this, but nothing in XT. Using the combination of
these two changes, we can say things like <fo:block
start-indent='{fop:from-parent("start-indent") + 1pc}'>.

For the moment, everything compiles and runs a few simple test examples.
Obviously the extension functions only work with the XTCommandLine style
of invocation and ties FOP to XT. Similar things could probably be done
with other XSL(T) processors; but XT is the one I'm familiar with. I
also have no idea of James Clark's current XSL related activity. Also,
some of the functions defined by the XSL spec can't be handled this way
(or at least not in all cases). But it's a start on moving towards
fuller XSL functionality.

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of others in the project as to
the utility of this work. Would you be interested in having me make it
available? What is the philosophy about XT or other XSL engines?

By the way, I'm still working on tables. I hope to be able to do some
coding this week, or next weekend (3 days here in Franc!) at the latest.
Some of this work came out of my rereading of the XSL "last call" with
reference to tables. For example there is a function called "from-table-column('someprop')".

Looking forward to your replies,

Karen

Re: SVG status (commit/images)

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
Steven,

You are welcome to start committing the files.
I have made some changes on these files but nothing major.

I'm not sure how the situation with the svg java bindings should be
resolved but the source from the w3c site cannot be easily compiled, there
are about 20 or so errors.

Also I recently noticed that my properties thing breaks the width and
height in the tables (and possibly other places). The best way to do this
is to add the namespace properties that I started, the easiest, get the
SVGLengthProperty to return a valid Length.

The rendering errors are mostly due to incomplete features (shading,
transform etc.).
The image should be there but my .bmp file was invalid (according to the
image handler) so it is not put into the pdf.

------------

I'm quite willing to start committing things. If I still can't get CVS
working, I can create all the diffs (ColorType.java, render stuff, etc.)
and
put them on a website so it will be easier for somone else to do so.

Is that alright, Keiron?
-Steve

Re: SVG status

Posted by Andreas Rueckert <a_...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

On Die, 11 Apr 2000 Keiron Liddle wrote:

--<snip>--

>This is the document showing examples etc.
>http://www.aftexsw.com/aftex/products/java/fop/Architecture.pdf

Great! And a great description of your work!
But I have a question: is there an image below the "6.2.11 Images" line?
Acroread doesn't show it, if there is one. And it seems there are a few
other rendering errors here (like the Apache logo).

Ciao,
Andreas

Re: SVG status

Posted by Stephan Albers <St...@jcatalog.com>.
Keiron Liddle schrieb:
> This is the document showing examples etc.
> http://www.aftexsw.com/aftex/products/java/fop/Architecture.pdf

It's just amazing!

Stephan

Re: SVG status

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Keiron Liddle wrote:

Wow! very nice work. I'd love to see those examples slowly merged in over
time. Really usefull to understand things nad have easy to cut and paste
examples.

> This is the document showing examples etc.
> http://www.aftexsw.com/aftex/products/java/fop/Architecture.pdf

Hint, hint.. could you set your mime type :-) for .pdf.

Dw