Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by "Robins, Joe" <jo...@teachforamerica.org> on 2009/09/09 17:24:53 UTC

Error generating Java code from WSDL

Hi,

I searched the archives, and couldn't find any info on this.  I'm far from an expert with web services, so I hope this isn't a dumb question, but even if it is, any help would be appreciated.

I am trying to generate Java code using CXF to work with a third-party tool which they provide as a web service.  I have attached the WSDL for their service to this message.  When I try to run the wsdl2java tool on it (using either CXF 2.0.5, which we've used before, and currently use for one other project, or with 2.2.3, which I downloaded when I started having problems), I get a NullPointerException with no useful error message:

jrobins@yggdrasil,11:10am,[~/tmp/newcxf/apache-cxf-2.2.3/bin]% ./wsdl2java -d /tmp/harcourt -client -verbose /tmp/harcourt/HarcourtWS.wsdl
wsdl2java -d /tmp/harcourt -client -verbose /tmp/harcourt/HarcourtWS.wsdl
wsdl2java - Apache CXF 2.2.3

WSDLToJava Error: java.lang.NullPointerException

org.apache.cxf.tools.common.ToolException: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJavaContainer.execute(WSDLToJavaContainer.java:271)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.common.toolspec.ToolRunner.runTool(ToolRunner.java:103)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJava.run(WSDLToJava.java:113)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJava.run(WSDLToJava.java:86)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJava.main(WSDLToJava.java:184)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.frontend.jaxws.processor.internal.FaultProcessor.processFault(FaultProcessor.java:96)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.frontend.jaxws.processor.internal.FaultProcessor.process(FaultProcessor.java:54)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.frontend.jaxws.processor.internal.OperationProcessor.process(OperationProcessor.java:66)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.frontend.jaxws.processor.internal.PortTypeProcessor.process(PortTypeProcessor.java:143)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.frontend.jaxws.processor.WSDLToJavaProcessor.wsdlDefinitionToJavaModel(WSDLToJavaProcessor.java:88)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.frontend.jaxws.processor.WSDLToJavaProcessor.process(WSDLToJavaProcessor.java:60)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJavaContainer.processWsdl(WSDLToJavaContainer.java:229)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJavaContainer.execute(WSDLToJavaContainer.java:127)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJavaContainer.execute(WSDLToJavaContainer.java:263)
        ... 4 more

There is no indication here as to what the problem is, and searching the web and the users@cxf archives, I don't find anything that seems related to this error.

When I try running with -validate to see if the WSDL is valid, it gives me the following error:

jrobins@yggdrasil,11:17am,[~/tmp/newcxf/apache-cxf-2.2.3/bin]% ./wsdl2java -d /tmp/harcourt -validate -verbose /tmp/harcourt/HarcourtWS.wsdl
wsdl2java -d /tmp/harcourt -validate -verbose /tmp/harcourt/HarcourtWS.wsdl
wsdl2java - Apache CXF 2.2.3

WSDLToJava Error: WSI-BP-1.0 R2205 violation: In Message SubmitRequestFault, part ExceptionId must specify a 'element' attribute

org.apache.cxf.tools.common.ToolException: WSI-BP-1.0 R2205 violation: In Message SubmitRequestFault, part ExceptionId must specify a 'element' attribute

        at org.apache.cxf.tools.validator.internal.WSDL11Validator.isValid(WSDL11Validator.java:140)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.frontend.jaxws.wsdl11.JAXWSDefinitionBuilder.validate(JAXWSDefinitionBuilder.java:201)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.frontend.jaxws.wsdl11.JAXWSDefinitionBuilder.validate(JAXWSDefinitionBuilder.java:61)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJavaContainer.processWsdl(WSDLToJavaContainer.java:166)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJavaContainer.execute(WSDLToJavaContainer.java:127)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJavaContainer.execute(WSDLToJavaContainer.java:263)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.common.toolspec.ToolRunner.runTool(ToolRunner.java:103)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJava.run(WSDLToJava.java:113)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJava.run(WSDLToJava.java:86)
        at org.apache.cxf.tools.wsdlto.WSDLToJava.main(WSDLToJava.java:184)

So it seems like there is an issue with conforming to the WS-I Basic Profile.  However, I was under the impression that conforming to the BP was optional, and that a WSDL can still be valid even if it does not conform.  I am sort of assuming that CXF is providing this message as informational, rather than as a requirement, but I don't know.  Is it possible that this violation is what's causing the NullPointerException?  And since this WSDL seems to be valid WSDL, even if it doesn't conform to the Basic Profile (it passes the validation at http://www.validwsdl.com/, for example), is there a way to get CXF not to require that it conform, and still generate Java client code?  Since this is a third-party tool, we don't have the option of changing the WSDL or the service, so I'm hoping I can find a way to make this work.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Joe Robins
Director, Systems & Software Development
Teach For America
Email: joe.robins@teachforamerica.org
Phone: 212-279-2080, x368

One day, all children in this nation will have the opportunity to attain an excellent education.
http://www.teachforamerica.org/

This communication and any file transmitted with it may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.

RE: Error generating Java code from WSDL

Posted by "Robins, Joe" <jo...@teachforamerica.org>.
OK, will do.  I just wasn't sure if this should be entered as an issue, because I wasn't sure if I was doing something dumb.

Thanks,

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

> So it seems like there is an issue with conforming to the WS-I Basic
>  Profile.  However, I was under the impression that conforming to the BP
>  was optional, and that a WSDL can still be valid even if it does not
>  conform.

Yes, a wsdl can still be "valid" according the wsdl schema, but that doesn't
mean it would be usable for generating valid soap messages.    The point of
the  WSI-BP was to define extra rules that make sure the various soap stacks
and such could properly work together.

In this specific case, even if it COULD generate the code, the runtime
wouldn't know what to do with it and would likely not generate a message that
is valid for that service.

My suggestion would be to take the wsdl they provide and modify it a bit to
make it conform to WSI-BP standards and match the soap messages that they
expect.   (would need  a sample soap message from them)   That would most
likely involve adding some element declarations to the schema and changing the
parts from type=".." to element="..."

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp