Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Timothy D Martin <tm...@csc.com> on 2002/09/09 22:32:32 UTC

Manager servlet authenticaion using jdbcRealm fails

I am attempting to set up a jdbcRealm using SHA-encrypted passwords with
BASIC authentication.
Configuration:

Tomcat 4.0.1
Apache 1.3.26
Redhat Linux
mod_webapp

I'm able to log in just fine for normal webapps.  When trying to access the
managerServlet however, I get an Internal Server Error (500):
"javax.servlet.ServletException: Error allocating a servlet instance" with
a root cause of: "java.lang.SecurityException: Servlet of class
org.apache.catalina.servlets.ManagerServlet is privileged and cannot be
loaded by this web application"  This occurs after prompted for
username/password.

Here is what the server.xml file looks like:

      <Host name="server.domain.name" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
        <DefaultContext reloadable="true"/>
        <Context path="/manager" docBase="manager" debug="0" privileged
="true"/>
      </Host>

One thing I saw in the mailing list was to make sure that servlet.jar is
not in JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext, and there is no extra copy of it in there.

Any have the solution or at the very least a guess?  Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
tmarti34@csc.com