Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jason Erickson <ja...@dbo2.com> on 2007/06/20 23:59:01 UTC

Subversion client hangs during long operations

I'm on Windows Vista.  This happens with command-line, TortoiseSVN, and
Subclipse.

If I want to pull a small project, it works fine (usually).  If I try to
checkout a larger project, it hums along fine for a minute or so and then
hangs.  No new files come after that (I let it run overnight with no
progress).  CTRL-C doesn't work to stop it.  If I stop the process with the
task manager, I can do a svn cleanup and usually also have to delete some
files that were downloaded but are not 'versioned'.  If I go through that
several times, eventually I get the whole project.  Updates work fine after
that (as long as I do it frequently) but if I do something with a lot of
data, such as switching to a branch, it hangs after a minute or so again.

There are other users who successfully do this all the time from the same
location, so it doesn't seem like a server side issue.  The other developers
are mostly on Windows XP but at least one person claims to be working fine
on Vista.

Does anyone have any clues as to what might be happening here?

Thanks,

Jason Erickson

Re: Subversion client hangs during long operations

Posted by Karen Tracey <km...@gmail.com>.
On 6/25/07, Jason Erickson <ja...@dbo2.com> wrote:

> Karen,
>
> You're a lifesaver!  That command seemed to have done the trick.  I did
> have
> more questions, if you happen to know.  The command that fixed the problem
> is:
>
> netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
>
> I'm a little out of my depth on this stuff.  If this fixed the problem,
> does
> that mean that I likely had other network problems (or potential network
> problems) of which I was unaware? Everything seemed to be working fine,
> but
> I haven't been using this laptop for very long.  If it is likely that the
> problem was isolated to Subversion, is there something less 'global' I can
> set?

Hi Jason, glad that pointer helped.  From what I've read, you were likely to
see problems with any application using TCP where:

1 - large amounts of data were being sent to your Vista machine, and
2 - the characteristics of the network & application were such that the TCP
code on your machine tried to advertise a very large receive window
(basically data was flowing in quickly and being retrieved quickly by the
application),  and
3 - there was a gateway/router box between you and the other end that was
doing stateful packet inspection and did not properly support TCP window
scaling, and therefore dropped packets with sequence numbers that it
considered to be outside the valid receive window for the connection.

It seems a little odd that you'd have a box doing #3 between you and your
subversion server when you are directly connected to your work network, but
I suppose it's possible.  The real fix is to identify these boxes in your
network and get them upgraded/replaced so that they correctly support window
scaling, but that would require getting whoever supports your network
infrastructure involved.

Interestingly, Microsoft ran into this issue when testing Vista, and
modified Internet Explorer so that it would not try to advertise these huge
windows.  So they made IE immune to the problem but all other applications
are vulnerable to it.

If you'd like to try a less drastic "fix", there are a few other settings
besides "disabled" in the command above that you could experiment with.
"Disabled" fixes the receive window at the default.  "Highlyrestricted" and
"restricted" let the window grow, but more conservatively than "normal",
which is the default value for the setting.  To see what the current setting
is you can use the command:

netsh interface tcp show global

In the output from this you're interested in the value of "*Receive Window
Auto-Tuning Level*."

> Incidentally, I am not the only one using Vista.  There is one other user.
> The difference is, he is using a different model, so his network hardware
> might be different.  Also, he upgraded from Windows XP Pro to Vista
> whereas
> I started with Vista when I installed Subversion.  He said he recalled
> being
> prompted about Tortoise when doing the upgrade so that he could run it in
> 'compatibility' mode or something.  I looked into that, but there was
> nothing I could do along those lines.

I can't explain why this other Vista user isn't seeing the same problem as
you.  From all I've read about it the problem is not related to
hardware/software on the endpoints but rather in an intermediate network
box.  But then most of the descriptions are pretty vague so perhaps there is
another factor that could come into play and that is different between your
two machines.

Karen

RE: Subversion client hangs during long operations

Posted by Jason Erickson <ja...@dbo2.com>.
Karen,

[...]

Anyway, thanks again so much.  I really didn't know what I was going to do
if I couldn't get this fixed.

Jason

Posted by Karen Tracey <km...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Erickson <ja...@dbo2.com>.
Yes, it's the same situation with TortoiseSVN, command line, or Subclipse.

From: "Jason Erickson" <ja...@dbo2.com>

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:56:44
To:"'Jason Erickson'" <ja...@dbo2.com>, <rs...@istandfor.com>
Cc:<us...@subversion.tigris.org>

Some additional information: Since I can do web-browsing just fine, I took a
chance that the problem was Windows Vista and the svn protocol.  I got
Subversion up and running on Apache so I could use http, but the behavior is
the same.

I'm getting really stuck here.  Not using Subversion is not an option.  Not
using Vista is an unattractive option, but not in the long run.  Should I
log this as a bug?

Posted by Russ <rs...@istandfor.com>.

Posted by Russ <rs...@istandfor.com>.
The one time I used vista, I had all sorts of problems with it, including not being able to connect to other pc's on the network.  I had to go and disable IPv6 to get things working again.

I remember we had all sorts of speed issues with svn, some of which we rectified by disabling antivirus, windows indexing, using a ramdrive/caching solution.
I have also had weird network problems while having httplook installed.

You might want to use tools to monitor svn during these lockups.  WireShark to monitor the network and some sysinternals to monitor the disk/process activity.  Perhaps you will find a clue somewhere.