Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Doucette <da...@citilink.com> on 2001/06/02 06:58:31 UTC

multi-threaded capabilities

I'm new to James.  I'm asking very simple questions, which is why I'm
directing them at "user" instead of "dev", despite some of them being of a
developmental nature.

James is said to be multi-threaded.  Which tasks cause threads to be
spawned?  Does each outgoing e-mail get its own thread?  If so, what kinds
of limits are placed on the number of threads and is this configurable?

Is there a newbie guide that gives an overview of such things?

Thanks,
david@citilink.com

Re: multi-threaded capabilities

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
David Doucette wrote:

> I'm new to James.  I'm asking very simple questions, which is why I'm
> directing them at "user" instead of "dev", despite some of them being of a
> developmental nature.

Good!

> James is said to be multi-threaded.  Which tasks cause threads to be
> spawned?  Does each outgoing e-mail get its own thread?  If so, what kinds
> of limits are placed on the number of threads and is this configurable?
>
> Is there a newbie guide that gives an overview of such things?

Alas, no.

This varies quite a bit between 1.2.1 and current 1.2.2-dev

Outgoing emails are handled by the RemoteDelivery mailet, which runs in
the SpoolManger block. For 1.2.2-dev the number of threads is
configurable by the admin. In the config.xml file, SpoolManager section,
you can set the number of threads the SpoolManager can use. Default is
one.

As a first approximation, each block has its own thread (James,
MailStore, UsersStore, SMTPServer, POP3Server, SpoolManager, NNTPServer,
IMAPServer) and each inbound connection has its own thread.

Charles