Posted to dev@beehive.apache.org by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/14 18:49:51 UTC

xmlbeans and Beehive 1.0 -- a shipping idea [was: Re: xmlbeans, jsr173, and BEEHIVE-872]

All--

  If you've been following the JSR 173 discussion with XMLBeans, you
know that we've been discussing a licensing issue around these APIs.
At this point, the Beehive 1.0 is effectively blocked on XMLBeans
resolving this licensing problem.

  In order to ship Beehive 1.0 in the next few days, I see us at a
point where we have some hard decisions to make.  Some options:

1) hold the Beehive ship for resolution to the licensing issue.  It's
not clear how long this will take; I've been in some discussions with
BEA Legal, and it's possible that this could take a bit to figure out.
 But, it's hard to tell...hopefully some discussion / update of this
will happen on dev@xmlbeans.
2) ship Beehive 1.0 but require end-users to download JSR 173 and
accept its license.  Until users do this, it won't be possible to use
Page Flow.  Personally, I'm not fond of this option because it forces
those interested in using Beehive to perform additional assembly in
order to make the distribution work.  It also forces acceptance of the
JSR 173 license, which some organizations might not like
3) decouple from having a binary dependence on XMLBeans.  In the form
Beehive will ship for 1.0, this includes removing this dependence in
NetUI and the shipping system controls (EJB, JMS, and JDBC).  Controls
doesn't have an XMLBean dependency.  NetUI has a binary dependency on
XMLBeans in the compiler at build-time and for some XML parsing done
at run time.

Honestly, I'm *dying* to ship Beehive 1.0 :) and would pick option (3)
above.  I've taken a crack at rewriting the parsing for the
beehive-netui-config.xml file, and it wasn't difficult to do.  It also
seems possible to have Beehive *support* XMLBean features that aren't
enabled by default.  For example, in the JdbcControl today, it's
possible to map a ResultSet onto an XMLBean, but this type converter
isn't required by default and is enabled based on *use* of XMLBeans,
which implies its presence.

  So, in (3), we could take the stance that Beehive 1.0 ships without
XMLBeans but that XMLBean-related features can be enabled if Beehive
users wish to download XMLBeans and use it with our distribution.
Seems like we could do this with *no loss of features*.

  This also has a few benefits:

1) the distribution download will be somewhat smaller (maybe 15% or more?)
2) we don't prescribe a version of XMLBeans and let users pick a version to use
3) selfishly, developing Beehive in an IDE gets easier because schemas
don't need to be generated on the command line  :)

  Let's discuss our options for a bit and then put it up for a
vote...additional thoughts / comments?

Eddie

Re: xmlbeans and Beehive 1.0 -- a shipping idea [was: Re: xmlbeans, jsr173, and BEEHIVE-872]

Posted by Daryl Olander <do...@gmail.com>.
+1 for #3...I think we can always revisit this decision post 1.0 if XMLBeans
resolves their licensing issue and we have features that depend on the
XMLBeans features that are hard to get from standard XML technologies....

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@bea.com>.
   And, I've got a set of XML processing utilities for DOM and for XSD
validation that I'll commit to NetUI under:

   org.apache.beehive.netui.util.xml

Unfortunately, these probably won't be useful for things in the Page
Flow compiler or in the EJB Control.  If you use utility things there,
we might try to protect them as much as possible so we keep the API
surface area to a minimum and don't become a provider of XML utils.

   :)

EKO

Posted by Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlin Rogers <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chad Schoettger <ch...@gmail.com>.
I agree option 3 looks like the way to go. I'll start taking a look at the
system controls, I believe the only one affected is the EJB control. I
should be able to have a patch ready for it in the next day or so.

- Chad

Posted by Carlin Rogers <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rich Feit <ri...@gmail.com>.