Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> on 2009/07/28 16:49:00 UTC

Removing non ASL code from a JIRA contribution.

If a committer wants to make a code contribution to Apache, licenses it
as ASL, but the patch uses BDB in some places. (The intention
is to get rid of the BDB dependency) Can the code be attached to a JIRA,
and then iterated in the community on the JIRA to remove
the BDB dependency before if it committed to svn?  {This i believe is fine}

My additional assumption is that we don't want the work to remove the
BDB happing post commit in svn, but rather pre committing the to svn.

Is the second assumption correct, or any additional advise on this.
Carl.

Re: Removing non ASL code from a JIRA contribution.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Craig L Russell wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2009, at 7:44 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Carl
>> Trieloff<cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> One more clarification,
>>>
>>> The files currently have a LGPL header on them (due to use of BDB).
>>> should
>>> that headers be removed before attaching
>>> to the JIRA. As the process of attaching to the JIRA grants the
>>> licence to
>>> ASL I assume that is not required to be done prior
>>> to attaching to JIRA. i.e. do the headers need to be removed before
>>> being
>>> attached to the JIRA. My assumption would be
>>> the headers can be removed with the removal of the BDB dependant
>>> code prior
>>> to commit. Is this correct?
>>
>> It should be done by the Copyright owner, or someone with the
>> expressed permission of the Copyright owner.
>>
>> My recommendation is that it is done prior to Jira posting.
>
> YMMV. I think it's better done visibly via JIRA updates.
>
> My reasoning is that establishing provenance is easier if you can see
> the original LGPL code, the subsequent modifications, and who is
> making the changes. The guidelines here
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-ip-clearance might
> add some color. See the section on "Clean Up Best Practice". I
> understand that the incubation process is overkill for the purpose.
> It's just the concept of cleaning up licenses transparently that is
> relevant here.

We have a view here on both sides, I expect the audit trail is worth
attaching it twice to the JIRA. I'm going to recommend that unless
someone disagrees in the next 24 hours.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Jul 28, 2009, at 7:44 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Carl
> Trieloff<cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> One more clarification,
>>
>> The files currently have a LGPL header on them (due to use of BDB).
>> should
>> that headers be removed before attaching
>> to the JIRA. As the process of attaching to the JIRA grants the
>> licence to
>> ASL I assume that is not required to be done prior
>> to attaching to JIRA. i.e. do the headers need to be removed before
>> being
>> attached to the JIRA. My assumption would be
>> the headers can be removed with the removal of the BDB dependant
>> code prior
>> to commit. Is this correct?
>
> It should be done by the Copyright owner, or someone with the
> expressed permission of the Copyright owner.
>
> My recommendation is that it is done prior to Jira posting.

YMMV. I think it's better done visibly via JIRA updates.

My reasoning is that establishing provenance is easier if you can see
the original LGPL code, the subsequent modifications, and who is
making the changes. The guidelines here http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-ip-clearance
  might add some color. See the section on "Clean Up Best Practice". I
understand that the incubation process is overkill for the purpose.
It's just the concept of cleaning up licenses transparently that is
relevant here.

Craig

> Cheers
> --
> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Removing non ASL code from a JIRA contribution.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Removing non ASL code from a JIRA contribution.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
One more clarification,

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Thx,