Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/07/28 15:48:34 UTC

[DISCUSS] Podlings & Gitbox Usage

All,

As many are aware, Infra has been rolling out a new service that allows
projects to leverage git repositories dually hosted on github and ASF git
repositories, commonly known as gitbox.  This effectively allows a project
to commit directly to Github and have those commits reflect back on the ASF
side.

This has been especially useful to a number of projects, since the github
interface gives many options for managing repositories.  I've recently also
asked infra to open it up to allow any IPMC member to request a gitbox
repository for any approved podling that is using gitbox.  Podlings I think
have found this useful, since many of them come from a github background.
They like using the tool and having it available for all to use.

So with that said, I want to propose some broad incubator wide policies for
gitbox.  I'd like to propose that gitbox usage is approved for all
podlings, there is nothing to inhibit a podling to request a gitbox
repository and as long as a podling feels the need to use gitbox, like they
would any other tool that we can integrate with, they should be free to use
it without any additional approvals required.

So please let me know your thoughts.  If I don't hear any -1's I plan to
submit an infra ticket early next week to enable the access for all
approved podlings.  Please note that your first conversion may need some
lead time with infra.

Regards,

John

Re: [DISCUSS] Podlings & Gitbox Usage

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
I am +1 on this.
Thanks.

Cheers,
Chris

On 7/28/17, 9:00 AM, "Mahdi Mohammadi" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

    I agree with this. Providing support for GitHub for all projects makes it
    easier for everyone to contribute and follow up the project.

Posted by Mahdi Mohammadi <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Pulsar has been using this and I am +1.

I do have some community related observations that are worth mentioning.

(1) Pulsar is directing all of GitHub activity in both the code repository and the git wiki to the dev list. This content does serve as both the main view to see what is going on from the Apache policy point of view. Decisions are on the dev list.

(2) This means the commit activity must be mixed together with discussion. If we move all the git messages to the commits list then we are not meeting the Apache decisions on the Dev list mandate. You could argue that we aren’t quite anyway because the best way to do this is on the GitHub interface.

(3) Moving more of the code review commentary into the source code and wiki might actually be a very good thing. It would make the dev mailing list a different place. One that is naturally less intense.

Should the Incubator suggest that GitHub alerts be output to the commits or notifications lists only? Should these questions go to comdev?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Understood. To be clear, I was merely stating a wish for how a migration
might work, because I think GitBox is great and would like to see as many
people have it as an option as possible. My wish is not a statement about
what infra currently is willing or capable of doing.

I'm sensitive to infra's support resource limitations, and the reason I
think this might be worth infra's serious consideration is because it seems
possible that a behind-the-scenes migration, like what I suggested, to the
superior GitBox service, might be easier to accomplish than infra handling
a large number of individual migration requests. If supporting the legacy
git-wip in addition to GitBox, as well as handling individual migration
requests, is a better use of resources, then so be it. I have no insight
into which is better. I suggest it only for consideration by those who have
more insight than me. :)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>.
+1 non-binding

PredictionIO started on GitHub and the majority of new contributions still
come from there.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.