Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by kaustubh shinde <ka...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/12 19:29:10 UTC

maximum length of form parameter

Hi,
I have a  problem I am not even sure if it's related to tomcat or not.
I submit a form  from a jsp to another. Some parameters of the form can get
really big.
When a certain parameter, say "genelists",  has a huge number of genes, it
wouldn't work.
For smaller number it still works.
so the question is
a) is there a set limit on the length of a parameter of a form from tomcat?
b) if yes, is there any way to adjust this length?

I am running tomcat 5.5.
I know it's a vague question. I would be happy to provide more
information..if I knew what to provide :)
Please accept my apologies if this has nothing to do with tomcat. Any ideas
are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kaustubh

Re: maximum length of form parameter

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
> > When a certain parameter, say "genelists",  has a huge number of genes

OK, how big is "huge", and how are you trying to process this?

And what *exactly* is the log message associated with "wouldn't work"?

Re: maximum length of form parameter

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
kaustubh shinde wrote:
> Thanks for the response Hassan,
> I am already using POST.

You want maxPostSize

Mark

RE: maximum length of form parameter

Posted by Robert Harper <ro...@iat-cti.com>.
What if you were to assign some form of record ID that associated with a
gene name so you could pass the ID's and not a descriptive name. This would
reduce the number of characters in the stream. You might look at some other
way to pass the information. You might be trying to bite off more than is
reasonable to chew.

Robert S. Harper
Senior Engineer
Information Access Technology, Inc.
1100 East 6600 South, Suite 300
Salt Lake City Utah USA 84121-7411
(801)265-8800 Ext. 255
FAX (801)265-8880

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, or action taken
upon this information by persons other than the intended recipient is
prohibited by law. If you received this communication in error, please
contact us immediately at 801-265-8800. Although this e-mail and any
attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that anything received or opened
is virus free. No responsibility is accepted by IAT for any loss or damage
in the event that such a virus or defect exists.

Posted by kaustubh shinde <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.