Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Edi KARADUMI <ed...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/18 14:09:14 UTC

Adding geospatial services to Taverna

Greetings,

My name is Edi Karadumi. I am pursuing a Master Degree in Software
Engineering at the University of Manchester.

The aim of my dissertation project is to add geospatial services based on
The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standards to Taverna. Firstly, a
plugin that invokes and discovers OGC Web Processing Services (WPS) will be
implemented. Therefore, Taverna users will be able to discover WPS services
from a user specified wps server, configure it, and then execute it. The
project will be extended further to support OGC Web Map Servies and OGC
Sensor Observation Services.

A generic approach will be developed in order to support most of OGC
service standards. The plugin will be developed for Taverna 2.5, and after
that it will be migrated to the most recent development of Taverna 3.

If you are interested in this functionality, I welcome any
suggestions and, especially, offers to test my work

Kind Regards,
Edi Karadumi

Re: Adding geospatial services to Taverna

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Yes!

For Taverna 2:

http://dev.mygrid.org.uk/wiki/display/developer/1.+Create+project+from+archetype

For Taverna 3:

Documentation is missing :-(

but it should be something like

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.taverna.engine
-DarchetypeArtifactId=taverna-activity-archetype
-DarchetypeVersion=3.1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT
-DarchetypeRepository=http://repository.apache.org/snapshots

Posted by Edi Karadumi <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Edi,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edi KARADUMI <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edi KARADUMI <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 22 April 2016 at 14:28, alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think you now just start issuing pull requests :)

Alan - do you think we should make an OGC branch on
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-common-activities  or make
a new git repository?

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 22/04/2016 13:48, Edi KARADUMI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I sent the icla electronically and got the following reply:
>
> This message acknowledges receipt of your ICLA, which has been filed in the
> Apache Software Foundation records.

Yes and you are listed on

https://people.apache.org/unlistedclas.html

> If you have been invited as a committer, please advise the project PMC that
> your ICLA has been filed.
>
> Should I do anything else?

I think you now just start issuing pull requests :)

> Regards,
> Edi

Alan

Re: Adding geospatial services to Taverna

Posted by Edi KARADUMI <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edi KARADUMI <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Thank you for explaining your project!
>
> (BTW: Edi has already talked to me and Alan in person in Manchester
> about this work)
>

> I think it makes sense to start with 2.5 plugin as you say, and then
> adapt it for Taverna 3. This means you can try it out in a full
> workbench right away - as we have not yet release Apache Taverna 3
> workbench. Then you can update the code for 3.0 - the changes are
> mainly different package names and that it will run under OSGi rather
> than our own plugin system.
>

> Feel free to ask this list any questions during development of your
> plugin - I'm sure the other folk will also be able to help you.

Thank you

> You might also find it useful to follow this list as there are three
> potential Google Summer of Code students this year who would be
> developing Taverna and Taverna plugins as well (but for Common
> Workflow Language, Docker and Taverna Mobile)

I'm aware of that and I have been following your discussions.

> You'll probably find this tutorial useful for the Taverna 2.5 plugin:
>

> http://dev.mygrid.org.uk/wiki/display/developer/Creating+plugins+for+Taverna+2

I have already completed the plugin invocation and discovery tutorials. In
addition, I read the Development, releases and testing procedures tutorial.
Please feel free to suggest any other tutorials that might help.

> There is unfortunately not an updated plugin tutorial for 3.0 - which
> changes slightly how you do Activity configuration. If you keep your
> plugin using a Jackson JSONObject as a configuration bean - then it
> should be straight forwards to later update it for Taverna 3.

Ok. I will use JSONObject.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes