Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "2jump2@gmail.com" <2j...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/04 13:04:23 UTC

[users@httpd] The best option

Hi all!

I have my first client, he want a website with ssl for the clients area.

i was searching and reading about
 apache + mod_ssl + openssl and apache_ssl

What of this is better or more secure?
I mean that is more posible find a bug in 1 of 3 aplications that 1 of
1 and the support a little more hard, but i only want give the best
service group.

The os of the server of my client is a w2003, i proposed linux but he
want spend money i think.

What versions can i install and configure for a better service?

Thanks in advance

--
Linux User #383783

Re: [users@httpd] The best option

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Monday 04 September 2006 15:41, Steven Pierce wrote:

> http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC3 (is the Mod_ssl page.

Obsolete since April 2002.

> www.apache-ssl.org

Obsolete since April 2002.

Please see the documentation at httpd.apache.org.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0132409674

Re: [users@httpd] The best option

Posted by Steven Pierce <pa...@speakeasy.net>.

On 9/4/2006 at 1:04 PM 2jump2@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>I have my first client, he want a website with ssl for the clients area.
>
>i was searching and reading about
> apache + mod_ssl + openssl and apache_ssl
>
>What of this is better or more secure?
>I mean that is more posible find a bug in 1 of 3 aplications that 1 of
>1 and the support a little more hard, but i only want give the best
>service group.

This is information right from the Apache-SSL page.  I would read both the Mod_ssl and Apache_ssl doc's and see
if one is going to do a better job for your conditions then the other.  Also it is always easier to find a bug in 3 applications
working as one, then it is to find one in one application.

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC3 (is the Mod_ssl page.  Review the two and make a decision
from there.  I do not think you can go wrong with either.)  One note is that if I am reading this correct, Apache_SSL
only works with Apache 1.3.

www.apache-ssl.org
Apache-SSL is not mod_ssl
There appears to be some confusion regarding Apache-SSL and mod_ssl. To set the record straight: mod_ssl is not a replacement for Apache-SSL - it is an alternative, in the same way that Apache is an alternative to Netscape/Microsoft servers, or Linux is an alternative to FreeBSD. It is a matter of personal choice as to which you run. mod_ssl is what is known as a 'split' - i.e. it was originally derived from Apache-SSL, but has been extensively redeveloped so the code now bears little relation to the original.
Apache-SSL continues to be developed and maintained, our main focus being on reliability, security and performance, rather than features and bells and whistles. I hope this makes things clear. (Adam Laurie).

Good Luck....