Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Luke Penca <lp...@deltasi.com> on 2003/10/24 18:21:49 UTC

RE: cocoon sites (server performance)

That's good information but I'm afraid it can be misleading.  Below is my experience with Cocoon server performance.

The Cocoon framework provides the basis of a Fortune 500's intranet where I consult.  They have almost 6000 employees and in addition to the obligatory "brochureware" content there are several applications where employees conduct business.  The thousands of information pages are actually pulled through aggregation pipelines where the "content pane" is wrapped with typically 5-6 other fragments.  (Then the links have to be rewritten and various other transmogrification steps per the business.) There are a few database calls scattered throughout and online forms but primarily this is a site that is aggregating static XMLs (which are managed via a separate content management product).

Unfortunately, the original pipelines are too long.  There can be upwards of 15 XSL transformations taking place to produce one page.

Also, there are many large BLOBs (PDFs, XLS, DOC, etc.) that Cocoon seems to have difficulty serving up.  Cocoon would prempt its own response and return a 0 byte file.  So the business has worked to pull all non-essential requests out of the Coccon space.  All BLOB links (including images, CSS, and js) are now handled by Apache HTTPd because it makes sense.

So what are the metrics?

USAGE PER DAY
--------------
 4,000 visits
60,000 pages
95,000 hits

THE SERVER
--------------
Dell 2550
Dual P4 2.0GHz
1.0 GB RAM
Tomcat 4.1.27
Apache 2.0.47

Not earth-shaking but enough to make the server (and Corp Management!) notice.  Plus, our usage is "scheduled", with most workers coming in around the same time, checking the online lunch menu around noon and going home en masse.   Everything runs well within limits but I'm sure that things could be tuned better.

Sorry for the verbose message but I wanted to give my real-life example.  I think that Cocoon is a wonderful framework that benefits from an active developer community (READ: this list!).  As with all Apache projects, the documentation is abundant enough but sometimes I do struggle to find information.  Hence my questions below.

--What are the best practices regarding pipeline length?  It appears that threads are being spawned to facilitate these transformations.

--Where can I go for some guidance on practical XSLT would be beneficial for not only myself but the entire Cocoon community?

--Finally, what is the definitive answer regarding aggregation invalidating the caching mechanism?  (I read that sometime ago on this list.)

Peace,

Luke.....

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.