Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com> on 2005/06/08 04:16:48 UTC

RE: Where to set exernal property referred to in log4j.properties

At 06:00 PM 6/7/2005 +0530, you wrote:

 >Hi Jacob,
 >
 >What is autoconfiguration?

As James said, refer to the docs (link provided in his response)

 >I am using the same solution as you have suggested below for the same
 >problem that I want the log file path to contain ${MY_APP_HOME} e.g.
 >${MY_APP_HOME}\logs\logfile.log.
 >But it is not working. I am using Websphere5.0.
 >1. I have set an OS environment variable MY_APP_HOME=3D"C:\myapp"
 >2. Implemented ServletContextListener and in contextInitialized() method
 >got the value of this OS env var and set it into JVM properties.
 >3. The log4j.xml  file contains the log file path as
 >${MY_APP_HOME}\logs\logfile.log.
 >
 >What is going wrong. One thing I have noticed from the logs is that,
 >log4j system is trying to initialize before the ServletContext is
 >initialized.

Actually, I mentioned this below.  If you have the config file in the
classpath, log4j will autoconfigure itself in a static block.  This will
happen before your servlet context listener has a chance to do
anything.  What I tend to do is put a dummy log4j.xml config file in the
classpath which is minimal and pretty much turns off all logging in the
root logger, and then perform manual configuration.  Having the file in the
classpath makes sure no other log4j config file get picked up (in case some
library is improperly placing their own config file in the classpath).  In
any case, the manual configuration afterward should have reset the logging
configuration so your config should have worked.

BTW, the point about the OS system variable was more so you can set
CATALINA_OPTS (speaking of Tomcat here) once and be done.  Then, if you
change a path, CATALINA_OPTS will pick it up automatically.  It was sort of
an aside.  The main thing is that you can set -D parameters which will set
JVM system properties, such as "-DMY_APP_HOME=/path/to/app".  In that case,
autoconfiguration would pick that system property up because it would exist
before the Log4j static block runs autoconfiguration.

One other thing to check is that the "/path/to/app/logs" directory
exists.  If you are expecting Log4j to create it for you if it doesn't
already exist, you are mistaken.  Log4j makes no attempt to create
directories.  That is your code's responsibility to do before configuration
takes place.

Jake