Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Johannes Hass <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/03 17:15:51 UTC

How to actually install CouchDB on Debian?

Fair warning: I'm just a tad miffed because the instructions do not work
and they probably have not been working for more than a year!

So, I am following the instructions from here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Debian

And it was at the "apt-get update -y" where I began to run into a slight
problem:

W: Conflicting distribution: http://packages.cloudant.com wheezy Release
(expected wheezy but got squeeze)

According to this page: https://github.com/cloudant/bigcouch/issues/135
this is actually a "WONTFIX".

The older instructions don't work as well because Spidermonkey is missing.

Re: How to actually install CouchDB on Debian?

Posted by Johannes Hass <jo...@gmail.com>.
Replacing 127.0.0.1 in /usr/local/etc/couchdb/default.ini, that is. This
file is not actually advertised, as well. Shouldn't config files reside in
/etc/couchdb/ or something?

Posted by Johannes Hass <jo...@gmail.com>.
Distributor ID: Debian

Posted by Johannes Hass <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much. Sorry if I was a bit grumpy.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by varacanero <va...@zeromail.org>.

> BTW I can’t update the instructions until you clarify what debian
release/version you’re on. output of `lsb_release` will be fine.

my instructions are for debian wheezy 7.5, please update the docs
regarding this.

Posted by varacanero <va...@zeromail.org>.
hej,

Posted by Johannes Hass <jo...@gmail.com>.
Well, I simply gave up and installed Ubuntu 14.04 - that one works out of
the box. I always thought that Debian Stable was actually supposed to be
just that - stable - and this dependency on internal version numbers is
somehow obviously not pertinent information.

Before I tried this installation, I did indeed a "apt-get update / upgrade
/ dist-upgrade" and thusly assumed that all my packages were up-to-date.
Seems I have been mistaken.

If I sound frustrated it's because I'm running into these kind of problems
again and again and again. Here it's a dependency that's unresolved a mere
month after the installation guide is written. There it's an untested
feature that's advertised nontheless. And over there is a version
dependency you're not told about.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.