Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Rob Jellinghaus <ro...@unrealities.com> on 2001/10/31 02:33:21 UTC

Use of java.util.Iterator?

Is it a requirement (and/or, currently the case) that Axis be JDK 1.1 compliant?

Some of the JAXM API's use java.util.Iterator, which pretty much eliminates 1.1 compliance.  The question is whether I should do likewise, in emulating those API's in Axis.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Rob

Re: Use of java.util.Iterator?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Rob Jellinghaus wrote:

> Is it a requirement (and/or, currently the case) that Axis be JDK 1.1 compliant?
>
> Some of the JAXM API's use java.util.Iterator, which pretty much eliminates 1.1 compliance.  The question is whether I should do likewise, in emulating those API's in Axis.
>
> Thoughts?

Most JVMs these days are JDK 1.2 or better.  You will find that if you design
to JDK 1.2, you will have less work due to working around the limitations
of JDK 1.1.  Why reinvent the wheel?

Honestly, I prefer the newer Collection classes to the older Vector/Enumeration
stuff.  They are quicker due to the fact that all accesses are not synchronized.
Sure it adds responsibility to the user, but in cases where the class is used
within one Thread, it provides for a better experience.

Even beyond the Collection/Iterator classes, I prefer to deal with typed arrays
even more.  There is no casting, and you can iterate through an array much quicker
than an Iterator can go through a list.

But that's just my opinion.

--

"Those who would trade liberty for
 temporary security deserve neither"

Re: Use of java.util.Iterator?

Posted by "R. Mark Volkmann" <vo...@home.com>.
> Is it a requirement (and/or, currently the case) that Axis be JDK 1.1
compliant?

> Some of the JAXM API's use java.util.Iterator, which pretty much
eliminates 1.1 compliance.  The question is whether I should do likewise, in
emulating those API's in Axis.

I don't think it's important for AXIS to be compatible with JDK 1.1.