Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> on 2022/08/08 17:51:30 UTC

Bringing apidoc back

Hi folks,

I started a PR to clean up the api doc. The main goal is that we need javadoc to success with failonerror set to true. Because if it fails only architecture and api change are generated but not the javadoc.

The most important issue is the following :
On the master it’s currently not possible to build using jdk 11 because java.source.base need a classpath with nbjavac (jdk 18) (they may be other modules involved). I’m not sure if providing a javadoc for nbjavac could help as Neil comment.
For being able to fix javadoc  issue in source
- I use a jdk 18 to be consitent with the jdk nb-javac use.
- I changed the javadoc checker to check all the html file to remove maximum issue

And there is a lots of issues 😃

fixed the apichanges,arch.xml
fixed typos on doc ( like <  &lt ; )
removed links that were using private/protected reference. (we expose only  org.netbeans.api.*, org.netbeans.spi.*) using our new netbeans.apache.org url as much as possible. And also coherent url pattern.

So 1000 modifications later it compile on master with only a few bad links remaining

Here is a list of the faulty links
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+apidoc+referenced+url
That the second issue: the missing page from fomer netbeans website and blogs. Web.archive.org get them all.

So I need your advise what to do with that.
1) Change the links to web.archiva.org
2) Remove the links
3) Copy from webarchive to our site but I'm unsure of the copyright here.
4) other idea

In the case of 3) could we have.
netbeans.apache.org/projects/autoupdate, netbeans.apache.org/projects/ui

Best regards
Eric

RE: Bringing apidoc back

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi,
 Private and friend module will still be there.
But the javadoc is limited to public signature and package.
If there is a private field/method in a class from a published javadoc it twill not be accessible. I guess this like that since a long time.

Best Regards,
Eric

Posted by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

RE: Bringing apidoc back

Re: Bringing apidoc back

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Bringing apidoc back

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Good work broken pages where always a pain to deal with.

Not sure if this provides any guidance one way or the other but here is the
web archive of the legal page

https://web.archive.org/web/20080703155807/http://netbeans.org/about/legal/index.html

And terms of use:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080703155716/http://netbeans.org/about/legal/terms-of-use.html

From this section 4.c. seems to be on other (none source) which AIANAL
seems to allow for use per

“hereby grant to the Hosts and all Users a royalty-free, perpetual,
irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive and fully sub-licensable right and
license under Your intellectual property rights to reproduce, modify,
adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute,
perform, display and use Your Submissions (in whole or part) and to
incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known
or later developed, all subject to the obligation to retain any copyright
notices included in Your Submissions. All Users, the Hosts, and their
sublicensees are responsible for any modifications they make to the
Submissions of others.”

From a legal perspective assume most of this was under the scope of Sun
then Oracle.  So does this mean (1) Oracle did not donate it or (2) it was
missed in some context during transition or (3) nothing preventing but to
do it?

I’m a fan of web archive but I hope it’s possible to bring these pages back
under control.

Eric Bresie

On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 6:41 AM Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi
> As temporary solution I prepared 2 PR:
>  one with old blog entry showing a link to web archive content
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans-website/pull/607
>  on with old specs showing also link to web archive content
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans-website/pull/608
>
> We could later reexport content if we want,
> Otherwise we can cut links from apidoc.
>
> Eric

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com