Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by Leonardo <so...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/22 15:12:25 UTC

MingW

hello,

i've downloaded the binary windows version of axis2-c, but i'm
wondering if it's possible to use that with mingw.

any tips?

AW: MingW

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
I think before you go to experiment with code generators such as WSDL2C you should first use MS Visual Studio and watch and build your examples from existing source code. Then try to achieve exactly the same using MingW. Keep it simple for the beginning. If you can get a running echo example, with client server running on the same machine, using the simple server of axis2/c, then we know how far you are. Use the provided code as is then we know how far you come along the way making it using MingW. If you have done that tell us. If you did not do so tell us as well. Or tell us where the MingW build fails with existing code.

Josef

Posted by Leonardo <so...@gmail.com>.

AW: MingW

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
Mingw is a developers and tools environment aiming at developing and making applications for the windows platform as native as possible whatever that means.

If your downloading the Axis2/C Binary kit 1. you get something ready to run.

The Axis2 Engine and Axis2 Tools included in the Kit are made for Windows.

Follow the setup procedures in the Axis2 C documentation and get your Axis2 simple server running up first would be your first task.

For that you don't need MingW.

Then you should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MinGW to get a feeling an idea about where MingW might be specific among other developers environments and platforms.

OR

you run the provided binary examples you will not make use of Mingw.

To build the provided example source codes you will use MingW.

Some of the provided header files can be configured to USE POSIX,

that will very likely not make it and not work with Mingw, (reading Wiki), you have to try.

If you configure your C code and provided header files to not use POSIX then it is very likely that you have a success with Mingw again.

Then I would take the simple echo.c example and start building it using your Mingw environment.

If you have success then you go on with all the other example code. It's worth doing so to become confident about your environment and what gets provided by Axis2C code generators.

Later take the Axis2 Tools WSDL2C (and docu) and re-create your own echo stubs and skeletons in C code for your own web service. Compare the generated code. Maybe you add another method now and recreate skeleton and stubs. If you can again make them using MingW then you know they are POSIX free for you MingW dev env.

Then take the more complex examples provided. If they all build you have a an even greater chance that you can use MingW for your axis2c projects.

BUT Please note: The binaries shipped with this version are compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio compiler (cl). And also the makefile that is shipped with this version needs Microsoft Visual Studio compiler (cl) and nmake build tool.

That does not mean you can't make it using your Mingw. But it might involve some more work.

I have ported Axis2C to OpenVMS, which is not a very straight approach at first. But once you have isolated and built the platform specific things, it is very great feeling how well all goes with this ANSI C code and yes, given availability of a POSIX compliant C compiler, which might be the biggest hindering factor using MingW.

If you really like to try it in the large and learn most about Axis2/C start a porting project for Axis2C to your Mingw based Windows platform. In this case download the axis2 souce kit from http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/axis/axis2/c

Then start inspecting and building/compiling the windows platform specific files.

If you can build after all Axis2C from sources you can be confident that you are on the winning edge and nothing can hinder you to use MingW. :-)

Any other thoughts ...

Josef