Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2010/12/20 15:34:50 UTC

Vysper and Wave (was: Re: [Vysper] Playing around with S2S)

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering : what could be the overlap between Vysper and apache-wave ?
> (the newly proposed incubator project for google-wave)

This is a very good question and one that I wondered about as well
(but haven't gotten around to look deeper into).

I have only limited knowledge of Wave but at least in the original
Google version, they based much of their protocol on XMPP and in
particular the live editing feature was powered by XMPP. That said, I
think it was done using regular XMPP extensions, which means it should
work out of the box with any XMPP server, Vysper included.

Of course, with the current plans of Wave in a box, which I
understands aims to be a easily installable version of Wave, having an
embeddable XMPP server seems useful. I'm sure there are other areas of
overlap, perhaps we should reach out on their dev list.

/niklas

Re: Vysper and Wave (was: Re: [Vysper] Playing around with S2S)

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
On 20.12.10 16:17, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Bernd Fondermann<bf...@brainlounge.de>  wrote:
>> Wave federation (server2server communication) integrates with a XMPP server
>> via the Jabber Component Protocol (XEP-0114). This is the standard way in
>> XMPP to plug-in and extend a XMPP server, while the extension is actually
>> running in a separate process.
>
> Ah, I didn't know it used the component protocol. Should I get S2S up
> and running, that's next on my list unless someone beats me to it.

Great! xep114 is only a stripped down variation of s2s, AFAIR.

   Bernd

Re: Vysper and Wave (was: Re: [Vysper] Playing around with S2S)

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
On 20.12.10 15:34, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<el...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Just wondering : what could be the overlap between Vysper and apache-wave ?
>> (the newly proposed incubator project for google-wave)
>
> This is a very good question and one that I wondered about as well
> (but haven't gotten around to look deeper into).
>
> I have only limited knowledge of Wave but at least in the original
> Google version, they based much of their protocol on XMPP and in
> particular the live editing feature was powered by XMPP. That said, I
> think it was done using regular XMPP extensions, which means it should
> work out of the box with any XMPP server, Vysper included.
>
> Of course, with the current plans of Wave in a box, which I
> understands aims to be a easily installable version of Wave, having an
> embeddable XMPP server seems useful. I'm sure there are other areas of
> overlap, perhaps we should reach out on their dev list.

Wave federation (server2server communication) integrates with a XMPP
server via the Jabber Component Protocol (XEP-0114). This is the
standard way in XMPP to plug-in and extend a XMPP server, while the
extension is actually running in a separate process. Think of it as the
component (wave) being Tomcat which is connected via mod_ajp (component
protocol) into httpd (XMPP server).

We don't have support for XEP-0114 yet. The wave website notes OpenFire,
Prosody and ejabberd as possible servers.

IIRC, the client2server comm is not using XMPP. Or at least not the
original Google Wave Web client.

   Bernd