Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jonathan Ashley <jo...@praxis-his.com> on 2008/03/19 15:27:46 UTC

Can't open file 'D:\Repositories\repo\db\current': The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Hello,

I have a strange new problem with my Subversion setup. Various tasks are
failing intermittently with the above message. I've seen it with commits,
where a PROPFIND error is followed by the message in the subject, "svnsync
sync"s, and "svnadmin dump"s.

Using Windows 2003, Apache 2.2.4, Subversion 1.4.3, FSFS repository and an
svnsync that is indirectly run post-commit.

Unfortunately, lots of things have changed recently in my setup, and it isn't
really practical to go back to the original one:

- application of SP1,
- new (faster) server hardware,
- move from a VMware-hosted server to a native server,
- move to a new network,
- move to hosting the repositories on a RAID disk,
- additional post-commit script that sometimes rewrites the svn:author
  property,
- change of anti-virus software (which I have asked nicely to not concern
  itself with the contents of the repository areas)

However, I didn't start seeing the problem until a day or two ago, which is a
few days after making all those changes.

No-one here seems to be suffering the same problem, so I guess I'm not hopeful
of finding a solution. I did find something that looked like a possible:
turning off oplocks, as suggested at http://www.superbase.com/services_tech_support_net_fact_sheet.htm. But that
might only apply to Samba shares.

I'm sure the file locking behaviour has changed, because I used to be able to
copy large Apache logs from one place to another while they were still being
written to, but now I'm getting errors such as "The process cannot access the
file because another process has locked a portion of the file."

Any useful suggestions will be appreciated.

Jon Ashley

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, disclosure, copying or distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Praxis.

Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect, no responsibility is accepted by Praxis or any of its associated companies for any loss or damage arising in any way from the receipt or use thereof. The IT Department at Praxis can be contacted at it.support@praxis-his.com.

Praxis High Integrity Systems Ltd:

Company Number: 3302507, registered in England and Wales

Registered Address: 20 Manvers Street, Bath. BA1 1PX

VAT Registered in Great Britain: 682635707

Re: Can't open file 'D:\Repositories\repo\db\current': The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Jonathan Ashley
<jo...@praxis-his.com> wrote:
[snip]

> Thanks; that sounds promising. I wonder why I haven't been bothered
> by this before?

It is timing related.  Refer to your large list of changes earlier in
the thread for possible reasons why it is showing up more often. :)

It happens more often on faster machines (especially multi-processor),
it happens more often with more aggressive AV software, it happens
more often if you have multiple tag-alongs (AV, indexing software,
etc.), etc etc etc.

DJ

Posted by Jonathan Ashley <jo...@praxis-his.com>.
> Various tasks
> > are failing intermittently with the above message. I've
> seen it with
> > commits, where a PROPFIND error is followed by the message in the
> > subject, "svnsync sync"s, and "svnadmin dump"s.
> >
> > Using Windows 2003, Apache 2.2.4, Subversion 1.4.3, FSFS repository
> > and an svnsync that is indirectly run post-commit.
> [snip]
>
> Version 1.4.6 of Subversion addressed (with the retry-loop)
> several places where this type of error was triggered when
> tag-alongs lock files.  You might want to try it.
>
> DJ

Thanks; that sounds promising. I wonder why I haven't been bothered
by this before?

Just for the record, I've also today seen the following errors from
svnsync:

svnsync: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repo'
svnsync: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

and

svnsync: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/repo'
svnsync: Can't open file 'D:\Repositories\repo\db\current': The system cannot find the file specified.

Presumably they're manifestations of the same underlying problem? They
seem very odd though.

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Ashley <jo...@praxis-his.com>.
Thanks for the suggestions. I must admit, I have a tendency to blame
anti-virus software for most of my problems too. This particular brand
is McAfee - it's already given some trouble on this machine by
preventing dumps of MySQL databases - scanning the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP area
and causing apparently random failures. I will try this out and see if
it helps.

I think that Linux would probably give less trouble overall, but I
don't have control over what OS is used.

regards,
--
Jon Ashley

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.