Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Thomas Corte <th...@hp9000.do.knipp.de> on 2001/06/17 00:16:50 UTC

Web design with taglibs?

Hi,

the Struts template taglib obviously addresses the design
of a web page at large, e.g. menu/header/content/footer,
and does a good job here.

However, I'd like to use templates at a smaller scale,
e.g. use a template for a small HTML fragment containing an
anchor tag with an image which occurs on many pages.

As the struts templates are not built for this task,
I find myself writing my own tags which merely print out
little or huge amounts of literal HTML code in the doStartTag and doEndTag
methods.

Is this the preferred method for my task? It's not really elegant,
even if I'd replace the print("<...></..>") stuff by equivalent
ECS method calls.

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                        D-44227 Dortmund
     Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Corte         Fon: 0231-9703-0
     thomas@knipp.de                    Fax: 0231-9703-200