Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Benjamin Sznajder <be...@il.ibm.com> on 2013/05/01 13:04:22 UTC

Using Hadoop core jars on Windows

Hi,

Recently, I ran Nutch 1.6 on Windows. I encountered a problem with the code
related to hadoop which did not run on windows.

For solving this issue, I had to use a -relatively- old version of Hadoop
core jar - hadoop-0.20.2-core.jar

My question is:

- What is the way to use the newest jar of hadoop on Windows (if there is
such solution). I  am just afraid to develop some stuff on Windows with old
versions of Hadoop...

Benjamin

RE: Using Hadoop core jars on Windows

Posted by Ivan Mitic <iv...@microsoft.com>.
Hi Benjamin,

Is there a specific version of Hadoop you are interested in? Hadoop 1.0, Hadoop 2.0?

There is not an official Apache release of Hadoop on Windows yet, however, there is an ongoing effort to get there. Apache branch-1-win and trunk branches already have a decent Windows support.

If you're interesting in version 1.0, you can enlist in the branch-1-win Apache branch and build on Hadoop on Windows yourself. SVN repository: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/branch-1-win/

If you are interested in the latest Hadoop, you can enlist in the Hadoop trunk branch and build from there: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/ Check BUILDING.txt in the root of the enlistment for instructions on how to build on Windows.

Hope this helps,
Ivan