Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> on 2009/06/29 11:08:33 UTC

About MINA commits with some code refactoring

Hi guys,

recently I saw some commits on MINA where some code has been refactored
(like lines were limited to 80 caracters, stuff like that).

I don't think it's a bad thing to do code refactoring, but the problem
is that when it's mixed with some code addition, it buries the fixes
into a lot of refactoring, and it's difficult for reviewers to check the
fixes.

My personal guess is that those who are committing such code are using
some specific options on their favorite IDE, leading to such injection
of code.

It's not only about line splitting, it can be addition of windows style
EOL, or even tabs. I'm not free from such injections, I must admit.

There is a Eclipse formating file for those who are using Eclipse, that
must be used in order to avoid such automatic refactoring :
http://mina.apache.org/developer-guide.html#DeveloperGuide-CodingConvention

If you are using another IDE, it could be cool to create the same kind
of file.

Last, not least, if you think the file need to be refactored, feel free
to do so, but *please*, do that in a separate commit : first refactor
the code, commit it and then fix the code and commit again.

Many thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org
,

Re : Re : About MINA commits with some code refactoring

Posted by Edouard De Oliveira <do...@yahoo.fr>.
Eclipse and i do use the convention formatting file
usually i work under windows but in the past two weeks i've been using it in sun's virtualbox running latest ubuntu

 Cordialement, Regards,
-Edouard De Oliveira-
Blog: http://tedorgwp.free.fr
WebSite: http://tedorg.free.fr/en/main.php

Envoyé le : Lundi, 29 Juin 2009, 15h08mn 18s
Objet : Re: Re : About MINA commits with some code refactoring

Edouard De Oliveira wrote:
> +1 You're perfectly right to prefer spam instead of difficult commits to read ^^

Just for my information, which IDE are you using ?

-- --

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Edouard De Oliveira wrote:
> +1 You're perfectly right to prefer spam instead of difficult commits to read ^^

Just for my information, which IDE are you using ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re : About MINA commits with some code refactoring

Envoyé le : Lundi, 29 Juin 2009, 11h11mn 20s

Le Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:08:33 +0200,
Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> a écrit :

> Hi guys,
>
> recently I saw some commits on MINA where some code has been
> refactored (like lines were limited to 80 caracters, stuff like that).
>
> I don't think it's a bad thing to do code refactoring, but the
> problem is that when it's mixed with some code addition, it buries
> the fixes into a lot of refactoring, and it's difficult for reviewers
> to check the fixes.
>
> My personal guess is that those who are committing such code are
> using some specific options on their favorite IDE, leading to such
> injection of code.
>
> It's not only about line splitting, it can be addition of windows
> style EOL, or even tabs. I'm not free from such injections, I must
> admit.
>
> There is a Eclipse formating file for those who are using Eclipse,
> that must be used in order to avoid such automatic refactoring :
> http://mina.apache.org/developer-guide.html#DeveloperGuide-CodingConvention
>
> If you are using another IDE, it could be cool to create the same
> kind of file.
>
> Last, not least, if you think the file need to be refactored, feel
> free to do so, but *please*, do that in a separate commit : first
> refactor the code, commit it and then fix the code and commit again.
>

> Many thanks !

+1
It's painful to decipher some commits.

Julien

Re: About MINA commits with some code refactoring

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.