Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> on 2011/10/20 19:44:09 UTC

[VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release, Round 2

This is the second release vote for Apache CouchDB 1.1.1

Changes since round 1;

* Fix object sealing with SpiderMonkey 1.7.0
* Update CHANGES/NEWS to reflect COUCHDB-1129
* Fix JavaScript CLI test runner

We encourage the whole community to download and test these release
artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release
is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release. Please report your
results and vote to this thread.

We are voting on the following release artifacts:

 http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.1/

Instructions for validating the release tarball can be found here:

 http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/

Instructions for testing the build artefacts can be found here:

 http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure

These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.1 tag in Git:

apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz
apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.md5
apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.asc
apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.sha

Test ALL the things.

B.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release, Round 2

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think the silent consensus to not change the procedure for stable
> branches
> and ongoing votes.

Could you clarify?

> And I don't buy the "incomplete wiki documentation" missing the git and
> still
> having the SVN commands in there argument. I don't argue we should not fix
> it
> all up (we should!), but plenty of people had no trouble casting a vote
> that
> I'd say it'd be okay to run this release with "wrong" instructions (that we
> only had for two or so releases so far anyway and that we had to amend each
> time to clarify, so this -1 could be retroactively apply to these previous
> releases).

Oh, just to clarify, the Test Procedure is not blocking the release. That's
a nice to have feature, and we can fix it up after the fact. Though I would
not say no if someone wanted to fix it up now, in time for the third round
of voting.

That said, if this community decides we should sort out the git/tagging
> issue
> first and update the Test Procedure wiki page before releasing or even
> voting
> on 1.1.1, I'd be fine with that.

This is the blocking issue, for me. The tagging and branching discussion
happening in a parallel thread is bringing up some pretty major concerns for
me, and I don't think we've nailed a consensus yet. This blocks the release
from my perspective, because this is will be first release we make from Git,
and whatever we do should match whatever our consensus is going forward.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release, Round 2

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Oct 21, 2011, at 18:53 , Noah Slater wrote:

> Actually, I think I'm going to give this a -1 without testing it.
>
> We still haven't ratified how releases are meant to work with Git, so I
> don't see that we can make a release at the present time. We need to agree
> on how we're going to do this, and document it in both the release procedure
> and test procedure before we can proceed.

I think the silent consensus to not change the procedure for stable branches
and ongoing votes.

And I don't buy the "incomplete wiki documentation" missing the git and still
having the SVN commands in there argument. I don't argue we should not fix it
all up (we should!), but plenty of people had no trouble casting a vote that
I'd say it'd be okay to run this release with "wrong" instructions (that we
only had for two or so releases so far anyway and that we had to amend each
time to clarify, so this -1 could be retroactively apply to these previous
releases).

That said, if this community decides we should sort out the git/tagging issue
first and update the Test Procedure wiki page before releasing or even voting
on 1.1.1, I'd be fine with that.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:

That ignores the number of releases performed prior to the creation of
> that page. The release tarball contains the right stuff. Since the
> process is not fully automated and has never been fully documented, I
> don't think your -1 is fair.

Just to clarify again, I consider the official release procedure to be
blocking this release. It's not only out of date, it's being actively
contended in a parallel thread as we try to make this release. As this is
something we will be stuck with going forward, and as something other future
Apache projects will be stuck with, I think it's of paramount importance
that we reach consensus before we make the release.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release, Round 2

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 21 October 2011 19:56, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> nslater: Can we decide now if we're sticking with (approximately) the
>> release procedure we've been following so far or whether we have to
>> nail down all the git things and document before round 3 can begin?
>>

> The actual text of the release procedure wiki page is unimportant. I realise
> we want to get this out ASAP, and I don't want to be a PITA. But we DO need
> to nail down how we're tagging releases. As long as we get that far, and as
> along as round three is tagged according to that policy, and as long as we
> write it down afterwards, I think I will be a happy bunny. Am I being
> reasonable?

Yes & I agree. Further productive comments on tother thread.

BTW +1 on seeing nslater in a  bunny suit at the next couchcamp.

Some proposals are:
http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costume-Baby-girls-Collection-Precious/dp/B000W5OTSW
http://www.amazon.com/Morris-Classic-Bunny-Small/dp/B000L5TG5O

A+
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release, Round 2

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Can you post this over on the tagging thread? :)

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Yes, quite reasonable.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
All,

I'm aborting round 2 because of the lack of basename() on Windows.

Round 3 to follow.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 13:44, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:

> This is the second release vote for Apache CouchDB 1.1.1
>
> Changes since round 1;
>
> * Fix object sealing with SpiderMonkey 1.7.0
> * Update CHANGES/NEWS to reflect COUCHDB-1129
> * Fix JavaScript CLI test runner

> artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release
> is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release. Please report your
> results and vote to this thread.

>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.1/
>
> Instructions for validating the release tarball can be found here:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/
>
> Instructions for testing the build artefacts can be found here:
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>
> These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.1 tag in Git:
>
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.md5
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.asc
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.sha
>
> Test ALL the things.
>
> B.

Hey, so that was smooth.
Everything passes, first time around, with no problems.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release, Round 2

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
The list_views and attachments error are symptoms of not clearing your
browser cache before starting. I'm not sure about the rev_stemming
one.

Please include all information within the text of your post. These are
all archived and form a historical record of the release process.

B.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
+0

OS X 10.7.2
Erlang R14B

make distcheck is fine

only two tests fail this time, changes and cookie_auth

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.
+1

Everything worked great. Wasn't able to check the pgp key because my
gpg client is acting up at the moment.

Cheers,

--
Sam Bisbee

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz> wrote:
> On 21 October 2011 19:14, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> -1 sorry from windows land.
>>>
>>> #1 libgen.h doesn't exist in our rarified air here. is this only needed to
>>> support basename in couchjs? I'm not sure what the right fix is here, as
>>> most BSDs seem to also require cdefs.h which also doesn't exist.
>>>

>> Windows bites again. It only exists for basename, so we should just
>> hardcode that to couchjs.
>>
>>> couch@sendai /relax/couch_git/src/couchdb/priv
>>> $ make
>>> source='couch_js/util.c' object='couchjs-util.o' libtool=no \
>>>        DEPDIR=.deps depmode=none /bin/sh ../../../build-aux/depcomp \
>>>        cc.sh -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../..
>>> -L/relax/tracemonkey-57a6ad20eae9/js/src/dist/lib -L/usr/local/lib
>>> -L/opt/local/lib -I/relax/otp_src_R14B03/release/win32/usr/include
>>> -I/relax/tracemonkey-57a6ad20eae9/js/src/dist/include -DXP_WIN   -g -Wall
>>> -Werror -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/relax/curl/include -DCURL_STATICLIB -O2 -c -o
>>> couchjs-util.o `test -f 'couch_js/util.c' || echo './'`couch_js/util.c
>>> c:\cygwin\relax\couch_git\src\couchdb\priv\couch_js\help.h(16) : fatal error
>>> C1083: Cannot open include file: 'libgen.h': No such file or directory
>>> make: *** [couchjs-util.o] Error 2
>>>
>>> #2 NEWS ICU update should be 4.4 not 4.2.
>>>
>>> diff --git i/NEWS w/NEWS
>>> index e62289e..d440ad0 100644
>>> --- i/NEWS
>>> +++ w/NEWS
>>> @@ -24,7 +24,7 @@ Version 1.1.1
>>>  * Fix missing revisions in _changes?style=all_docs.
>>>  * Improve handling of compaction at max_dbs_open limit.
>>>  * JSONP responses now send "text/javascript" for Content-Type.
>>> -* Link to ICU 4.2 on Windows.
>>> +* Link to ICU 4.4 on Windows.
>>>  * Permit forward slashes in path to update functions.
>>>  * Reap couchjs processes that hit reduce_overflow error.
>>>  * Status code can be specified in update handlers.
>>>
>>> A+
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Will fix.
>>

> awesome - thanks Paul.
>
> +1 for hardcoding it. Is it possisible at least to hardcode it to the
> target filename generated in the Makefile - "softcoding" perhaps?
>
> Either way, the actual file is "couchjs.exe".
>
> A+
> Dave

We can just brute force it with a Makefile conditional.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release, Round 2

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> c:\cygwin\relax\couch_git\src\couchdb\priv\couch_js\help.h(16) : fatal error
> C1083: Cannot open include file: 'libgen.h': No such file or directory
> make: *** [couchjs-util.o] Error 2
>
> #2 NEWS ICU update should be 4.4 not 4.2.
>
> diff --git i/NEWS w/NEWS
> index e62289e..d440ad0 100644
> --- i/NEWS
> +++ w/NEWS
> @@ -24,7 +24,7 @@ Version 1.1.1
>  * Fix missing revisions in _changes?style=all_docs.
>  * Improve handling of compaction at max_dbs_open limit.
>  * JSONP responses now send "text/javascript" for Content-Type.
> -* Link to ICU 4.2 on Windows.
> +* Link to ICU 4.4 on Windows.
>  * Permit forward slashes in path to update functions.
>  * Reap couchjs processes that hit reduce_overflow error.
>  * Status code can be specified in update handlers.

Will fix.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release, Round 2

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On Thursday, 20 October 2011, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> This is the second release vote for Apache CouchDB 1.1.1
>
> Changes since round 1;
>
> * Fix object sealing with SpiderMonkey 1.7.0
> * Update CHANGES/NEWS to reflect COUCHDB-1129
> * Fix JavaScript CLI test runner

> artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release
> is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release. Please report your
> results and vote to this thread.

>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.1/
>
> Instructions for validating the release tarball can be found here:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/
>
> Instructions for testing the build artefacts can be found here:
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>
> These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.1 tag in Git:
>
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.md5
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.asc
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.sha
>
> Test ALL the things.
>
> B.

-1 sorry from windows land.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +0 . tests doesn't pas on 0SX lion . I think at least READMe should be

s/doesn't/don't

> tests (js+ check + signature) are ok on other platforms tested
> (freebsd 8.2 & osx 10.6) .

with erlang R14B03 & R14B04

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.1.1 Release, Round 2

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> This is the second release vote for Apache CouchDB 1.1.1
>
> Changes since round 1;
>
> * Fix object sealing with SpiderMonkey 1.7.0
> * Update CHANGES/NEWS to reflect COUCHDB-1129
> * Fix JavaScript CLI test runner

> artifacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release
> is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release. Please report your
> results and vote to this thread.

>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/1.1.1/
>
> Instructions for validating the release tarball can be found here:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~rnewson/dist/
>
> Instructions for testing the build artefacts can be found here:
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Test_procedure
>
> These artifacts have been built from the 1.1.1 tag in Git:
>
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.md5
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.asc
> apache-couchdb-1.1.1.tar.gz.sha
>
> Test ALL the things.
>
> B.

+0 . tests doesn't pas on 0SX lion . I think at least READMe should be
updated to tell the user that OSX lion isn't a supported platform with
default openssl *if* this is the reason. It's unclear for me why from
time to time tests are ok.  On the other hand doing a POST /_restart
isn't an operatin we do often in production but I guess other
operations can affected too.

tests (js+ check + signature) are ok on other platforms tested
(freebsd 8.2 & osx 10.6) .

- benoît