Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ye...@intercomponentware.com on 2003/08/27 14:58:23 UTC

Urgent !!! Problem to get TOMCAT/4.1.24 cluster running with sticky session support.

Hi guys here is detail description:
I have Apache/2.0.45 running on the server A
And two tomcat workers are running on B and C
The problem is that I cannot get Tomcat cluster load
balanced , playing around with workers.properties on
Apache gave me two different situations.
1.if I have local_worker parameter equal to 1, then
I have no lost sessions but also no loadbalancing . But
cluster is still fail safe, if one tomcat dies - another
one gets all incoming requests.
2. if I have local_worker=0 then I have a simple round-
robin balancer without session affinity. So my session got lost.

configuration example workers.properties:
worker.list=tomcat-worker-01,tomcat-worker-02,router
worker.tomcat-worker-02.port=4007
worker.tomcat-worker-02.host=xxx.xx.x.12
worker.tomcat-worker-02.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat-worker-02.lbfactor=50
worker.tomcat-worker-02.cachesize=10
worker.tomcat-worker-02.cache_timeout=600
worker.tomcat-worker-02.socket_timeout=300
worker.tomcat-worker-02.local_worker=1
worker.tomcat-worker-01.port=5007
worker.tomcat-worker-01.host=xxx.xx.x.20
worker.tomcat-worker-01.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat-worker-01.lbfactor=50
worker.tomcat-worker-01.cachesize=10
worker.tomcat-worker-01.cache_timeout=600
worker.tomcat-worker-01.socket_timeout=300
worker.tomcat-worker-01.local_worker=1
worker.router.type=lb
worker.router.balanced_workers=tomcat-worker-01,tomcat-worker-02
worker.router.sticky_session =1
worker.router.local_worker_only=1

P.S. I checked the previous discussions related to server.xmlS
configuration.
I had there:
 <Engine jmvRoute="worker1" name="Standalone" defaultHost="ipaddress1"
debug="0">
 <Engine jmvRoute="worker2" name="Standalone" defaultHost="ipaddress2"
debug="0">
Yefym Dmukh
developer
email: yefym.dmukh@intercomponentware.com

Re: Urgent !!! Problem to get TOMCAT/4.1.24 cluster running with sticky session support.

Posted by Vladyslav Kosulin <ko...@yahoo.com>.
Yefym.Dmukh@intercomponentware.com wrote:
> Hi guys here is detail description:
> I have Apache/2.0.45 running on the server A

If your Apache is running on UNIX/Linux/BSD/MacOS X, load balancing with sticky
sessions will work only if you use worker MPM. At least this is correct for
mod_jk2, and may be the same is the cause for mod_jk.
By default Apache is been compiled with prefork MPM on UNIX/Linux/BSD.
Check with
    httpd -l
If you see prefork.c, you have to recompile Apache using
./configure --with-mpm=worker ...

Hope this will help.

Vlad