Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/19 03:57:17 UTC

[VOTE] Release math 1.2 (second attempt)

This is a vote to release Commons Math 1.2.

The zips / tars are here:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/

The site included in the binary distro is here:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/docs/

Release notes:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

The vote will remain open for 72 hours.

Thanks in advance for your votes.

Phil

8--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

[  ] +1  I support this release
[  ] +0  I am OK with this release
[  ] -0   OK, but....
[  ] -1   I do not support this release

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release math 1.2 (second attempt)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
This vote has passed.

Voting +1:

Luc Maisonoble (*)
Michael Heuer
Brent Worden (*)
Niall Pemberton (*)

Oliver Heger (*) also voted +1 on the other release thread and I
forgot to add my own +1.  There were no negative votes.

I will copy the tag and push out the release shortly.

Thanks to all who reviewed the RCs and voted.

Phil

(*) Commons PMC

Re: [VOTE] Release math 1.2 (second attempt)

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Phil Steitz a écrit :
> This is a vote to release Commons Math 1.2.
>
> The zips / tars are here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/
>
> The site included in the binary distro is here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/docs/
>
> Release notes:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> Thanks in advance for your votes.
>
> Phil
>
> 8--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
>
> [  ] +1  I support this release

+1

Posted by Brent Worden <br...@gmail.com>.
+1

Brent Worden

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19/02/2008, Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr> wrote:
> sebb a écrit :
> > On 19/02/2008, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> This is a vote to release Commons Math 1.2.
> >>

> > I assume the SVN tag is:
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_1_2_RC3/
> >
> >> The zips / tars are here:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/
> >>
> >> The site included in the binary distro is here:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/docs/
> >>

> > Could not find any details on which Java releases are supported.
> >
> > The front page says:
> >
> > "No external dependencies beyond Commons components and the core Java
> > 2 platform."
> >
> > AFAIK this merely implies Java 1.2+; however the jar manifests show
> > version 1.3. It would be helpful if this was clearly stated on the
> > web-site.
> >
> > I've tried building the code using Java 1.3.2_20 and Ant, however the
> > tests fail with:
> >
> > internal-test:
> >     [junit] Using loader null on class
> > org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.XMLJUnitResultFormatter:
> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/Node
>
> This seems to be a problem with running ant itself, not [math] which
> does not deal with xml.
>

> > The Ant build works OK on Java 1.4.2_16, however the generated jar
> > file manifest is rather minimal; it should have more info.
> >
> > The Maven 1 build seems to work OK on 1.4, however the generated jar
> > file contains two copies of META-INF/LICENSE.txt.
> >
> > The Maven 1.0.2 build seems to work OK on Java 1.3, however the test
> > suite seems to stall when running the test:
> >
> > org.apache.commons.math.ode.GraggBulirschStoerIntegratorTest
>
> I suspect the following ones are related to the known wrong behaviour of
> Math.cos prior to Java 1.4 (see
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4345903). These tests
> also correspond to corner-case behaviour (dealing with infinity and NaN)
> where this version of JDK had issues.

Perhaps the tests should be skipped on 1.3?

> I don't know if the previous case is similar or not. There is a simple
> unprotected loop in these tests cases which involves cosines and sine.
> It is in the TestProblem3.computeTheoreticalState() method. Could you
> change the loop from:
>
> do {
>    // some computation about Kepler equation
> } while (Math.abs(corr) > 1.0e-12);

> corr = 999.0;
> for (int i = 0; (i < 50) && (Math.abs(corr) > 1.0e-12); ++i) {
>    // some computation about Kepler equation
> }
>
> and check if the test exits ?

Yes, that fixes the hang.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Artifacts all look good and m1 and m2 builds both ran OK for me (but I
only tested using JDK 1.5) - so +1 from me

Niall

Posted by Michael Heuer <he...@acm.org>.
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Phil Steitz wrote:

> This is a vote to release Commons Math 1.2.
>
> The zips / tars are here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/
>
> The site included in the binary distro is here:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/docs/
>
> Release notes:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/math-1.2-RC3/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> Thanks in advance for your votes.

Non-binding +1, with or without [MATH-193].

   michael