Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/12 16:21:00 UTC

[DOCS] Update on translation, Help needed.

All,

Translation is picking up, thanks to all translators.
Doc freeze is aimed for the end of the month, that means that in March we should be working on a non evolving set of docs.

The runbook is finished in French. Japanese and Chinese need a few updates to be complete (due to the new push of strings).
Italy is fast catching up on the runbook (61%):
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/ACS-Runbook/
This is a relatively easy one to get done. To check where they stand and how the look see:

French: http://people.apache.org/~sebgoa/fr-FR/index.html
Japanese: http://people.apache.org/~sebgoa/ja-JP/html/index.html
Chinese (mainland): http://people.apache.org/~sebgoa/zh-CN/html/index.html
Chinese (Taiwan): http://people.apache.org/~sebgoa/zh-TW/html/index.html
Italian: http://people.apache.org/~sebgoa/it_IT/html/index.html

I only know French, English and a bit of spanish, so please don't take offense if the documents are not properly rendered. This might be a transifex issue. Just report the issue to the list and I will fix it.

The UI is seeing the most work with:
Japanese, Korean, Russian, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Spanish, German, Norwegian and Catalan having a good chance of being finished by 4.1.

We need a big push on the general documentation:
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/ACS_DOCS/
Chinese, Japanese and Portuguese are the only three languages we can realistically hope to finish on time for 4.1.

Keep it up and get people involved, we have ~90 days to get this done :)

Cheers,

-Sebastien

RE: [DOCS] Update on translation, Help needed.

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
Hi David,

Considering the time it would take to get the documentation reviewed on Review Board, I do not think we could hit the feature freeze :-) One of patch is yet to be reviewed  on review board at https://reviews.apache.org/r/8813/

If you look at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Apache+CloudStack+v+4.1+Documentation+Plan, you can see where documentation stands.

Contributors, please pitch in.

Thanks
-Radhika

> Many features are not yet merged, some are still in progress state. In this case, it is very difficult to aim for a month-end doc freeze.
>
> -Radhika

Feature freeze was almost two weeks ago - what features haven't been merged? What docs items remain outstanding? Perhaps more folks can help there to hit the docs freeze date?

--David

RE: [DOCS] Update on translation, Help needed.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
[ALARM]

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
[ALARM]

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
Hi Mathias

David is already developed a Runbook/ Quick Install Guide.

He is looking for reviewers.

-Radhika

Just as a point, can we change the "Runbook" to "Quick Install Guide" to make it easier for people to understand what the use is? I don't think people wanting to come in and quickly get started are going to understand to look to the term Runbook to help get them going, when it's an industry term for a set of Operations instructions.

It may be too late, but just wondering. I have a couple people that will be really interested in it and will dive into it quickly.

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
Hi Mathias

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Radhika Puthiyetath
<ra...@citrix.com> wrote:
> I am really  curious to know as to why David chose the title 'Runbook', instead of Quick Start Guide.
>
> -Radhika

So originally I chose runbook because there was already a quick
install guide in the 2.2 (and maybe even early 3.0 days) So a naming
conflict.
So it does bear one similarity with a runbook, in that it's a set of
directions to follow, there are no options, it's a single path to a
single goal, which is typically what a runbook does from an ops
perspective.

Since we don't have a quick install guide anymore, I'll change the
name shortly.

--David

Re: [DOCS] Update on translation, Help needed.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
I am really  curious to know as to why David chose the title 'Runbook', instead of Quick Start Guide.

-Radhika

> Just as a point, can we change the "Runbook" to "Quick Install Guide"
> to make it easier for people to understand what the use is? I don't
> think people wanting to come in and quickly get started are going to
> understand to look to the term Runbook to help get them going, when
> it's an industry term for a set of Operations instructions.
>
> It may be too late, but just wondering. I have a couple people that
> will be really interested in it and will dive into it quickly.

Matt, that's really a question for David Nalley who wrote the runbook.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
Matt: We haven't officially published it yet, so I am fine with that
as a title. I'll work on doing that in the next day or so.

--David

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.