Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/01 20:57:43 UTC

Re: Hive User Group Meeting 3/18/2010 7pm at Facebook

We also created a Meetup group in case you prefer to register on meetup.com

http://www.meetup.com/Hive-User-Group-Meeting/calendar/12741356/

We are hosting a Hive User Group Meeting, open to all current and
potential hadoop/hive users.

Agenda:
* Hive Tutorial (Carl Steinbach, cloudera): 20 min
* Hive User Case Study (Eva Tse, netflix): 20 min
* New Features and API (Hive team, Facebook): 25 min
JDBC/ODBC and CTAS(Create Table As Select)
UDF/UDAF/UDTF (User-defined Functions)
Create View/HBaseInputFormat (Hive and HBase integration)
Hive Join Strategy (How Hive does the join)
SerDe (Hive's serialization/deserialization framework)

Hive is a scalable data warehouse infrastructure built on top of
Hadoop. It provides tools to enable easy data ETL, a mechanism to put
structures on the data, and the capability to querying and analysis of
large data sets stored in Hadoop files. Hive defines a simple SQL-like
query language, called HiveQL, that enables users familiar with SQL to
query the data. At the same time, this language also allows
programmers who are familiar with MapReduce to be able to plug in
their custom mappers and reducers to perform more sophisticated
analysis.

The current largest deployment of Hive is the silver cluster at
Facebook, which consists of 1100 nodes with 8 CPU-cores and 12
1TB-disk each. The total capacity is 8800 CPU-cores with 13 PB of raw
storage space. More than 4 TB of compressed data (20+ TB uncompressed)
are loaded into Hive every day.

If you'd like to network with fellow Hive/Hadoop users online, feel
free to find them here:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=319237846974

Zheng

--
Yours,
Zheng

Re: Hive User Group Meeting 3/18/2010 7pm at Facebook

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.
Just a reminder that we have Hive User Group Meeting this Thursday at Facebook.

Please register on
http://www.meetup.com/Hive-User-Group-Meeting/calendar/12741356/ if
you plan to come.

Zheng

--
Yours,
Zheng

Re: Hive User Group Meeting 3/18/2010 7pm at Facebook

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.

--
Yours,
Zheng

Re: Hive User Group Meeting 3/18/2010 7pm at Facebook

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.

--
Yours,
Zheng

Re: Hive User Group Meeting 3/18/2010 7pm at Facebook

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.

--
Yours,
Zheng