Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/17 00:09:42 UTC

Interested in contributing to Kafka?

Hey All,

A number of people have been submitting really nice patches recently.

If you are interested in contributing and are looking for something to
work on, or if you are contributing and are interested in ramping up
to be a committer on the project, please let us know--we are happy to
help you help us :-). It is often hard to know what JIRAs or projects
would be good to work on, how hard those will be, and where to get
started. Feel free to reach out to me, Neha, Jun, or any of the other
committers for help with this.

Cheers,

 -Jay

Re: Interested in contributing to Kafka?

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
Here are the newbie labels in JIRA for open Kafka tickets
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20KAFKA%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20newbie%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC
 http://www.stealth.ly

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Posted by Alan Lee <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Lee <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kane, Jonathan,

We tried to pick some JIRAs that we think are relatively easy with label
"newbie" or "newbie++" (a bit more than "newbie"). You may want to search
with these labels.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Interested in contributing to Kafka?

Posted by Jonathan Natkins <na...@streamsets.com>.

Posted by Kane Kane <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jay, I don't have a lot of experience patching kafka, but I would
really like to help starting with some minor tasks.

Thanks.

Posted by Kane Kane <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey Neha,

I like all these ideas.

I think people have been doing a good job with the newbie label, which
is great, we should keep doing that.

I think pairing people up is a great idea. The trick is actually
figuring out who has an interest in becoming a committer and would
like a pair, and who is just dropping a one-off-patch.

I like the idea of having someone assign JIRAs with patches to
committers for review. So the proposed workflow would be:
1. Have a designated triage person go through all JIRAs. If a JIRA
comes in with a patch or the person says they are working on
something, the triage person will assign the JIRA to a random
committer to handle review. If the committer is too busy they can hand
it off to another random contributor until it lands on someone who can
do it. It would be nice if the committer could get to it in < 2 days
(even if they are just punting it to someone else) so that people
don't have to wait too long.
2. The assigned committer then reviews the patch. If it needs more
work they assign it back to the contributor. If it is good as is they
commit it and close the JIRA.

If no objections, let's use this approach for managing patches. I
think it is kind of what we have been doing informally, but this will
make it clear.

-Jay

Posted by Andrew Otto <ao...@wikimedia.org>.
Oh, BTW, I think Yelp is using this .deb packaging (and shell script) too.

Posted by Andrew Otto <ao...@wikimedia.org>.
Hm, curious!

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philip O'Toole <ph...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.