Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Charlie Rose <cr...@MIT.EDU> on 2008/02/13 17:36:51 UTC

Re: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrForrest

I have Forrest and this plugin working in a Tomcat environment.
However, I cannot figure out how to pass the query string, and my
results aren't transformed. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.

Charles Rose
CogNet
MIT Press Journals

Re: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrForrest

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 16:52 -0500, Charlie Rose wrote:
> > I guess you are using forrest 0.8, right?
>

> forrest 0.9

svn trunk, ok.

> > Do you use the plugin with the dispatcher or with skins?
> >

> I am pretty new to Forrest. I've gone through documentation relating
> to this but don't have a handle on it yet.

if you do:
cd whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.solr
forrest run

You will see the dispatcher contracts in action at
http://localhost:8888/index.html

>  I've built the plugin, added it to required plugins, copied the jar
> to the web app, and I know I am successfully calling through to my
> solr server.

You normally just do
cd MY_PROJECT
forrest war

This will generate all needed files and add it to a war.

> i would like to add the forrest:contracts and have the buttons in the
> action bar, but documentation doesn't adequately specify which files
> those need to be added to and my knowledge doesn't cover the gaps yet.
> I find-grepped forrest:contract and only found a few examples deep
> within skins that don't even appear to be active (leather-dev where
> the active skin is pelt).

No, if you want to use the dispatcher then you cannot use skins (is
either or). The leather-dev is not working, it was the intend to
incorporate the dispatcher in skin, but this did not work.
DO NOT USE leather-dev.

If you did the above (forrest run on the plugin) you can see how the
dispatcher is working.

The style is controlled by
whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.solr/src/documentation/resources/structurer/url/pelt.fv
which imports
whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.solr/resources/themes/common/panels/solrbar.panel.xml
There we use the solr contracts which you can find in
whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.solr/resources/themes/common/html
The search contract is solr-search.ft.

More information about the dispatcher can be found
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/

> > In any way requesting
> > http://localhost:8080/YOUR_PROJECT/solr-search.html?version=2.2&hl=true&hl.fl=content&fl=id,title&indent=on&rows=10&start=0&q=test
>

> This returns the correct search results.

So it is working, nice.

> > If you do not run solr on default port you need to change
> > <property name="solr.select.url"
> > value="http://localhost:8983/solr/select"/>
> > in your forrest.properties.xml
>

> Yes, I've changed this to http://localhost:8084/solr/select
>

> I create a link to the solr-search page in Forrest but I don't see a
> way to get a field containing the query and pass it to the search
> operation.

Do not understand. The link would need to be a GET submit to the
search.html in the form solr-search.html?q=test or using a form.

> The link works and dispatches the way I want. It just doesn't provide
> any search terms. When I provide them myself by
> appending ?q=some-terms to the url it returns the results I am looking
> for.

See the solr-search.ft there is a form.

> There are a number of cocoon forms examples that pass query parameters
> from a form entry field but forms are disallowed by the DTD in
> Forrest. I could try to override or extend the Forrest google/lucene
> search panel but I don't want a web site search widget, I want a
> search page in the website that searches an entirely different site.

The dispatcher allows you to define page specific styles and you a free
to add whatever content. It is very easy to use once you understood the
concept.

However the easiest way to do it in skin is to create a HTML page and
use this for the search form.

P.S. Please subscribe to the list since I need to moderate your messages
through.

salu2

Posted by Charlie Rose <cr...@MIT.EDU>.
> I guess you are using forrest 0.8, right?

forrest 0.9

> Do you use the plugin with the dispatcher or with skins?

I am pretty new to Forrest. I've gone through documentation relating
to this but don't have a handle on it yet. I've built the plugin,
added it to required plugins, copied the jar to the web app, and I
know I am successfully calling through to my solr server. i would

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.