Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Thierry Lam <la...@pcigeomatics.com> on 2005/04/21 17:11:21 UTC

Differentiating calls to the same function

Consider the following example:

Calling function stuff()
Calling function doThing()
Calling function stuff()

In my log file, is there some feature which allows me to do the
following:

(date-time) 1st call to stuff()
(date-time) 1st call to doThing()
(date-time) 2nd call to stuff()

Thanks
Thierry

Re: Differentiating calls to the same function

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
There are several technical reasons why it would be difficult and/or
expensive for log4j and log4cxx to provide a method invocation count
(the fairly substantial cost of obtaining location info in log4j is
one).  It is a lot easier for the caller to maintain that count which
could either be formatted into the message or placed in a NDC or MDC.
Something like:

void stuff() {
    static int callCount = 0;
    callCount++;
    LOG4CXX_DEBUG(std::string("Call to stuff() #") + itoa(callCount));
}