Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com> on 2011/05/05 02:59:14 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Release rules

One year ago (to the day!) Chris started a discussion about the
release manager role
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201005.mbox/%3Ch2q1267dd3b1005041331r7d8f696di370a279ff605832f@mail.gmail.com%3E).
In light of today's disagreements, I think we should restart this
discussion and incorporate these rules into the bylaws, since it
formalizes our practices.

I'm happy to drive this. We could start by discussing Chris' proposal
(see clarifications in
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201005.mbox/%3Ct2y1267dd3b1005051201h7116e4caud75673ac9d5128d6@mail.gmail.com%3E),
then when we get consensus we can put the document on the website.
(BTW does anyone know if the bylaws were checked into SVN anywhere?
These belong together.)

Cheers,
Tom

Re: [DISCUSSION] Release rules

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.
Withdraw my -1.

Eli, thanks for pointing it out about the vote.

Nicholas

________________________________
Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.
> I don't think the bylaws were checked in, we should do that first. How
> about checking them into the site repo so they get generated as part
> of the docs?

-1

Please don't check in anything before having a vote.  Thanks.

Nicholas

________________________________
>> One year ago (to the day!) Chris started a discussion about the
>> release manager role
>>(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201005.mbox/%3Ch2q1267dd3b1005041331r7d8f696di370a279ff605832f@mail.gmail.com%3E).
>>.
>> In light of today's disagreements, I think we should restart this
>> discussion and incorporate these rules into the bylaws, since it
>> formalizes our practices.
>>
>> I'm happy to drive this. We could start by discussing Chris' proposal
>> (see clarifications in
>>http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-general/201005.mbox/%3Ct2y1267dd3b1005051201h7116e4caud75673ac9d5128d6@mail.gmail.com%3E),
>>,
>> then when we get consensus we can put the document on the website.
>> (BTW does anyone know if the bylaws were checked into SVN anywhere?
>> These belong together.)
>
> Sounds good to me. I like Chris' proposal, he was clear that "nothing
> should be in (unreleased) 0.x that isn't also in trunk." so that may
> needs to be revisited if we want to be consistent with today's vote.
>
> I don't think the bylaws were checked in, we should do that first. How
> about checking them into the site repo so they get generated as part
> of the docs? Eg this is how Pig does it:
> http://pig.apache.org/bylaws.html

+1 makes sense.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.