Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> on 2022/12/01 04:57:28 UTC

Re: [External] : Re: Querying Solr Locally through Java API without using HttpClient

On 11/30/22 00:33, Nagarajan Muthupandian wrote:
> Say if I am in a solr container.. will Embedded server create another container locally..? Or will be it like thin client to interact with container similar to HTTP.

If you use EmbeddedSolrServer, you are embedding the entire Solr
application in your own program.

Solr is implemented as a Java webapp.  In order for it to interact with
a network, it must be running in a servlet container.  The Solr download
includes a very slim copy of Jetty for this.  The world of servlet
containers also includes Tomcat, Glassfish, and others.

EmbeddedSolrServer is a way to run Solr without a servlet container,
instead running it inside another program.  It is only accessible via
the SolrJ EmbeddedSolrServer class, and only from the JVM that is
running it.  There is no servlet container, so there is no network
access and no ability to reach it from any other program.

Above, when I talk about containers, I am NOT talking about things like
Docker, I am talking about application server software.

https://www.infoworld.com/article/3510460/what-is-apache-tomcat-the-original-java-servlet-container.html

Thanks,
Shawn