Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/21 08:56:08 UTC

[HEADS UP] Using verbs for the EIP actions

Hi

In the CAMEL-64[1], we are talking about using the verbs for EIP actions.
Current Camel's DSL and Spring configruation file are using noun to
define the routing rules.

Such as
from(seda:a).throttler(10).to(mock:result);

<camelContext id="camel"
<route>
<from uri="seda:a" />
<throttler maximumRequestsPerPeriod="3" timePeriodMillis="30000">
<to uri="mock:result" />
</throttler>
</route>
</camelContext>

it will be better if we make DSL like this
from(seda:a).throttle(10).to(mock:result);

As we discussed in the JIRA, it is impossible to make the Spring schema
support old nuns and new verbs at same time.

Since we are working on Camel 2.0, it will be painless if we directly
move on to use the verbs instead of still supporting nuns in DSL and
Spring configuration.

Any thoughts ?

[1]https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/CAMEL-64

Willem

Re: [HEADS UP] Using verbs for the EIP actions

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Would be interesting to get a count of how many types should be
changed. Maybe it's not to many and the creating two sets of .jars is
overkill.

/Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer
Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
hard to argue against that point :)

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM, raulvk <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I was just following this thread and even though I am not a
> committer I thought it would be OK if I put it my 2 cents...
> Don't you think that moving the old noun-based DSL to a different
> package than the current one would defeat the purpose of
> backward-compatibility? If this was done, I believe that all current
> code would still need to be changed to reference the newly package
> that contains the old DSL, therefore disarming the
> backward-compatibility of this solution...
>
> Am I right?
>
> 2008/11/21 Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>:
>> Interesting idea, but in that case, I'd rather put the old ones in a
>> separate package.  Or put both dsls in separate jars (and use one or the
>> other).
>>

>> On Nov 21, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Hiram Chirino wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure how backward compatible we want to remain.  It could be
>>> possible to put the new java DSL route builders in a new package or
>>> class so that it is possible to one day provide a backward
>>> compatibility support.  Not that we have to do that day 1 of the 2.0
>>> release..
>>>
>>> What do you think?

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Hiram
>>>
>>> Blog: http://hiramchirino.com
>>>
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://open.iona.com

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Using verbs for the EIP actions

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 for better fluent DSL and won't support the old noun-based DSL.

Here is one thing that I found recently, The Enterprise Integration
Patterns book uses noun for the EIP action, if you take a look EIP table
of content[1] and the camel EIP wiki[2], you can find out that.

Here is my question about the Spring configuration even the GUI of EIP
which is based on camel.
Do we still use the noun for the EIP action to coordinate with the EIP
book  or use the verb to coordinate with the JAVA DSL?

My suggestion is just change the JAVA DSL part (The method names in the
ProcessorType.java) , and leave the org.apache.camel.model's *Type.java
name alone.

Thoughts?

[1] http://www.eaipatterns.com/toc.html
[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/CAMEL/enterprise-integration-patterns.html

Willem

Well, we can go ahead.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Roman Kalukiewicz <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
ah.. gotcha..   but then you could not incrementally migrate projects.
 I.e. Ihave 500 old camel routes.. and I want to migrate 50 of them
for the next version of my app..

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The idea is to move it to a different jar, not a different package, to
> maintain backwards compatibility.
>
> Comments and ideas always welcome!
>
> Hadrian
>
> On Nov 21, 2008, at 12:55 PM, raulvk wrote:
>
>> Hi, I was just following this thread and even though I am not a
>> committer I thought it would be OK if I put it my 2 cents...
>> Don't you think that moving the old noun-based DSL to a different
>> package than the current one would defeat the purpose of
>> backward-compatibility? If this was done, I believe that all current
>> code would still need to be changed to reference the newly package
>> that contains the old DSL, therefore disarming the
>> backward-compatibility of this solution...
>>
>> Am I right?
>>
>> 2008/11/21 Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Interesting idea, but in that case, I'd rather put the old ones in a
>>> separate package.  Or put both dsls in separate jars (and use one or the
>>> other).

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Using verbs for the EIP actions

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by raulvk <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I'm not sure how backward compatible we want to remain.  It could be
possible to put the new java DSL route builders in a new package or
class so that it is possible to one day provide a backward
compatibility support.  Not that we have to do that day 1 of the 2.0
release..

What do you think?

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed. We shouldn't even be thinking of keeping two sets of DSL methods for
> the 2.0 release, would be too messy. I'd say go for it!
>
> BTW we've been keeping track of API breaks in the 2.0.0 release notes just
> so users are aware of this
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAMEL/Camel+2.0.0+Release
>
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 4:26 AM, Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> In the CAMEL-64[1], we are talking about using the verbs for EIP actions.
>> Current Camel's DSL and Spring configruation file are using noun to
>> define the routing rules.
>>
>> Such as
>> from(seda:a).throttler(10).to(mock:result);
>>
>> <camelContext id="camel"
>> xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/camel/schema/spring">
>> <route>
>> <from uri="seda:a" />
>> <throttler maximumRequestsPerPeriod="3" timePeriodMillis="30000">
>> <to uri="mock:result" />
>> </throttler>
>> </route>
>> </camelContext>
>>
>> it will be better if we make DSL like this
>> from(seda:a).throttle(10).to(mock:result);
>>
>> As we discussed in the JIRA, it is impossible to make the Spring schema
>> support old nuns and new verbs at same time.
>>
>> Since we are working on Camel 2.0, it will be painless if we directly
>> move on to use the verbs instead of still supporting nuns in DSL and
>> Spring configuration.
>>
>> Any thoughts ?
>>
>> [1]https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/CAMEL-64
>>
>> Willem
>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Jon
>
> http://janstey.blogspot.com/

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Using verbs for the EIP actions

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1 to change both the Java DSL and spring DSL.
We might need to state something on the wiki page that the samples
might be for Camel 2.0 as we use the SNIPPET tags that read from the
SVN trunk.

Yeah the API breaking in the release notes is very detailed. Jon is
setting a new standard there.

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,