Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com> on 2013/12/19 04:45:03 UTC

Question about jar files in svn.

Hi all:

We’re having a discussion over in dev@river.apache.org that was triggered by the recent discussion here about the Spark podling release.  In particular,
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201312.mbox/%3CCAAS6%3D7iQSKTgNdO-0Qyd3T9--%2B%2BHQFEmhJi7CHoByqvQvp9_bg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
has caused me to start asking questions…

Since Incubator is a good repository of Apache’s institutional knowledge, I wonder if someone could point me towards resources that clarify the policy on dependency jars in releases and in the svn repository.  If I understand it correctly, there shouldn’t (perhaps even must not be) any jar files checked into subversion or included in a source release.  Is that correct?  To be more specific, there doesn’t seem to be any doubt that jars shouldn’t be included in source release packages, but would it be fair to say that they should also not be in the svn?

Thanks in advance,

Greg Trasuk
PMC Chair, Apache River.

Re: Question about jar files in svn.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I am not an expert, we only graduated a year ago.  But I think there are
two rules in here:

1) Source archive must not contain compiled source code that is part of
the product's functionality.  There is leeway on compiled source code
processed during testing.  I think the board may pull your release off the
distribution server if they find out you have not followed this rule.

2) Your distribution point for the release must be from the distribution
server AND its mirrors (and I think, Maven Repos).  I'm pretty sure you
will be required to rewrite website and any other public information that
tells folks anything else.

While I think the rest is just "guidance", IIRC from our incubator mentors
and various email threads, the goal of managing information in SVN/Git
repos is to enable folks who do pull stuff from those repos to understand
the IP ownership of the files and also know that the stuff isn't a trojan
horse containing viruses.  As PMC members we have a responsibility to the
ASF to make sure we don't make mistakes there, so common practices like a
"deps" folder help eliminate mistakes.  I think for Apache Flex, we don't
store any compiled code in the main repos, if anywhere.  I've been told
that for some projects, making a release is as simple as zipping an "svn
export", so you might actually save time by not having binaries in the
repo.

-Alex

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23 December 2013 05:50, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>> Greg Trasuk wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks everyone for the input.  To summarize, it appears that the consensus
>> > argument is:
>> >
>> > - Jar files are not prohibited by policy in project repositories (svn),
>> >   although they may not make a lot of sense.
>> > - Source distributions must not distribute executable code in binary form.
>> >   i.e. Don’t ship dependency jars in the source archive.  However it may be
>> >   acceptable to include things like jar files that are processed during
>> >   testing (sample archives, for instance).
>> > - The project repositories are not generally considered “distributions”, but
>> >   we need to be a little careful to avoid users’ confusion on this point.
>
> Regarding that last part, i reckon that is about: only referring
> the development community to the development resources and not
> instructing users to do that.

However, many projects refer to SCM repos on "public" pages, some even
on the download page.
Also, projects that use Maven will have the SCM URLs in the POM.
Maven generated sites will have the Source Repo as part of the
standard documentation.
Such projects should ensure that the SCM has appropriate N&L files at
the top level.

Note also that Roy [1] at least considers that SCM should be classed
as a distribution.

See also [2] and [3]

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200907.mbox/%3C7A0220B7-5DF1-4F4C-8C27-6CA8A175CFCD%40gbiv.com%3E
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200907.mbox/%3C1706952606.1247865134823.JavaMail.jira%40brutus%3E
[3] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200907.mbox/%3C1809771433.1247865614827.JavaMail.jira%40brutus%3E

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the input.  To summarize, it appears that the consensus
> argument is:
>
> - Jar files are not prohibited by policy in project repositories (svn),
>   although they may not make a lot of sense.
> - Source distributions must not distribute executable code in binary form.
>   i.e. Don’t ship dependency jars in the source archive.  However it may be
>   acceptable to include things like jar files that are processed during
>   testing (sample archives, for instance).
> - The project repositories are not generally considered “distributions”, but
>   we need to be a little careful to avoid users’ confusion on this point.
>
> And just to be clear, I take this as valuable input from from the experts at
> Incubator, not a ruling.  Obviously, the River PMC makes decisions for
> River, and Incubator bears no responsibility for anything we might get
> wrong.

+1 to your perfect, meticulously composed summary.

I'd also like to respond to something you wrote in a post to dev@river:

    http://s.apache.org/tn

    First, though I’m going through the archives on legal-discuss@ to see if
    there’s already been a discussion.  As with many things, there seems to be
    much opinion, but little policy.

As someone who became an ASF Member relatively recently (2011), I am often
struck by how much collective knowledge from the early years of Apache is
missing from our current documentation.  Some issues seem to have been
considered "common sense" but have turned out not to be.  Other issues have
achieved consensus resolutions at one time but the consensus was never
captured in policy documentation and distortions have since propagated.

I think it's up to us more recent arrivals, not yet afflicted by "the curse of
knowledge", to identify the weaknesses and take the lead on getting them
addressed.  It's gratifying that we arrived at a common understanding so
quickly in this thread; I hope that we get the chance to work together again.

Best,

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Question about jar files in svn.

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
Thanks everyone for the input.  To summarize, it appears that the consensus argument is:

- Jar files are not prohibited by policy in project repositories (svn), although they may not make a lot of sense.
- Source distributions must not distribute executable code in binary form.  i.e. Don’t ship dependency jars in the source archive.  However it may be acceptable to include things like jar files that are processed during testing (sample archives, for instance).

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 December 2013 18:57, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> My understanding of the link I posted way back is that the source package
> cannot contain compiled output that will be executed by the customer.
> IMO, whether it is "external" or not doesn't matter.  The JAR used by the
> Compress tests is hopefully just data, not some part of its functionality.

Yes, the jars are test data.

> On 12/19/13 10:40 AM, "Henry Saputra" <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Ah I see.
>>
>>So the point of concern is the "external" jars, but jars that are
>>generated by the project itself (for example for tests) should be
>>fine?

Again, that's ambiguous.

I would not expect to find jars of the project source in source releases.

Note that the Compress test jars were manually created on various
different systems.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So the point of concern is the "external" jars, but jars that are
> generated by the project itself (for example for tests) should be
> fine?

One main concern is oversight for what goes into an an Apache release.

It's not realistic to perform a line-by-line review for all source code in a
release candidate, but if we trust our version control and our commit
notification systems, we can have confidence that the what goes into a release
has been reviewed over time by the PMC.  Checking that the expanded content of
the source archive matches an export from a version control tag is a useful
(albeit not universally appropriate) way of verifying that the release is what
it says it is.

A compiled binary, on the other hand, is an opaque product of source code plus
build environment.  It can't be reviewed, and the build machine is potentially
a target for crackers.

Hence, these quotes from Roy:

    http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-2

    I consider them to be trojan horses.  I wouldn't hesitate for a second
    to delete them outright.  Actually, what I've done in the past (yes,
    I have done this before) is move them to a subdir of my homedir and
    then tell the relevant project to WTFU and do it right.  Note, however,
    I would not delete the ones in archive -- that would be silly.

    http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-3

    People have to understand this.  There will always be a role for
    downstream commercial or non-commercial redistributions of Apache
    products.  Why?  Because the ASF is incapable of taking on the enormous
    liability associated with released binaries that are not produced in
    a controlled environment with a controlled set of tools.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Question about jar files in svn.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Ah I see.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
Some example of projects that have them in both the repo and source dist is
Apache Cassandra or Apache OpenOffice

-Jake

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.