Posted to user@pig.apache.org by zhang jianfeng <zj...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/11 04:59:58 UTC

Does pig stable enough in local model

Hi all,

I meet a problem in local model, when using a small data, it works fine, but
when I run larger data, the pig will hang there,

And it's difficult for me to analysis why it hangs and where it hangs, does
anyone know this problem, and does pig insure the local model, or it is only
a development model, not applicable for product ?

Thank you .

Re: Does pig stable enough in local model

Posted by Mridul Muralidharan <mr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi,

   IIRC pig tries to evaluate the entire script in one go when in local
mode ... as opposed to splitting it at mapred boundaries.
This could be faster in some cases, but in others - where there are lot
of intermediate tuples (imo) - it will pretty much slow it to a crawl
when compared to mapred case : particularly when the bags start spilling
to disk.

Are you observing databag spills to disk ? Or is your script really deep ?
Though it could also be the bug Alan mentioned !

Regards,
Mridul

Posted by zhang jianfeng <zj...@gmail.com>.
Alan,

Thank you for your help, It works after I update the pig source code,

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.