Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alessandro Ronchi <al...@aronchi.org> on 2004/12/07 13:21:10 UTC

Delevoping a Web APP

Hi to all, I'm a new subscriber.

I don't know if this's the right place, but I have a big question: I
must develop a web app with tomcat (jsp/servlet) that will be an OLAP
interface to a postgresql datawarehouse for an academic thesis.

I'm looking for a gui framework to increase the developing interface
design process speed. Is Tapestry the right tool? Where can I see
examples of Tapestry apps working on web?

I think the Tapestry homepage lacks some screenshots to help new
visitor's understand what this project does: can you help me?

Thanks for your great work!
--
Alessandro Ronchi
www.aronchi.org

Re: Delevoping a Web APP

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
Alessandro, how can I answer that question for you? The best thing you can
do is read up on it with some of the links I and others have given you and
make your own best guess.

Tapestry is simply the best web framework for Java around, so it will be
time well spent.

Jamie

Posted by Alessandro Ronchi <al...@aronchi.org>.

Re: Delevoping a Web APP

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
Tapestry is definitely the right tool!

Here are some links for you:
http://jakarta.apache.org/~hlship/tapestry/faq.html

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-tapestry/

When you download 3.0.1 you'll need to fix a couple of things to get
the external jars and run the jetty demo:

in config/common.properties change the code to use JDOM 1.0 (b8 no
longer exists):

# ----- JDOM Library, version 1.0 -----
jdom.home=${ext.download.dir}/jdom-1.0
jdom.lib=${jdom.home}
jdom.jar=${jdom.lib}/build/jdom.jar
jdom.ext.jar=${ext.dist.dir}/jdom-1.0.jar
jdom.loc=http://www.jdom.org/dist/binary/jdom-1.0.tar.gz

I also recommend bumping OGNL to 2.6.7:
# ---- OGNL ----
ognl.version=2.6.7
ognl.loc=http://ognl.org/${ognl.version}/ognl-${ognl.version}.jar
ognl.dest=${root.lib.dir}/${ext.dir}/ognl-${ognl.version}.jar

If you want to run the demo under Jetty:
in build.xml make sure it says
     <include name="lib/org.mortbay.jetty.jar"/>
in the jetty classpath. It has something like "jetty-2.6.jar"

Jamie

On Dec 7, 2004, at 7:21 AM, Alessandro Ronchi wrote:

> Hi to all, I'm a new subscriber.
>
> I don't know if this's the right place, but I have a big question: I
> must develop a web app with tomcat (jsp/servlet) that will be an OLAP
> interface to a postgresql datawarehouse for an academic thesis.
>
> I'm looking for a gui framework to increase the developing interface
> design process speed. Is Tapestry the right tool? Where can I see
> examples of Tapestry apps working on web?
>
> I think the Tapestry homepage lacks some screenshots to help new
> visitor's understand what this project does: can you help me?
>
> Thanks for your great work!
> --
> Alessandro Ronchi
> www.aronchi.org

RE: Delevoping a Web APP

Posted by dw...@vigilantms.com.
IMHO Tapestry has a too steep learning curve for a one time prototype
projects.   It is more suited for a high volume environment where you can
leverage development over a number of projects and be able to reuse the
components.

The wiki has links to a number of projects