Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Timothy J Schumacher <Ti...@Colorado.EDU> on 2010/03/11 18:24:57 UTC

question about single Executor for multiple Connectors

Hi,

I am using 6.0.24 with a java 1.6 on an old redhat linux system.  I am
using httpd in combination with tomcat.  All is working as expected but
I had a question about something I noticed in my logs.

In my server.xml I have set up one Executor and two Connectors (one for
port 8080 "http"and one for port 8009 "ajp13").  Below is the relavent
portion of my server.xml:

        <!-- thread pool for handling requests to tomcat -->
        <Executor name="TomcatThreadPool" namePrefix="TCThreadPool-"
maxThreads="50" minSpareThreads="5"/>

        <!-- direct connection from the outside port 8080   -->
        <Connector  port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1" redirectPort="8443"
enableLookups="false" connectionTimeout="60000"
executor="TomcatThreadPool" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

        <!-- connection from the inside port 8009 to httpd  -->
        <Connector  port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3"  redirectPort="8443"
enableLookups="false" connectionTimeout="60000"
executor="TomcatThreadPool" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

My question is:  when i access tomcat via port 8080 I see in my logs
that the thread that handles my request is called TCThreadPool-N as
expected, however if I use port 80, though httpd, I see the name of the
thread that handles my request is named TP-Processor-M.  Does this imply
that my one Executor is not handling requests from both Connectors?  If
not why not?  As a follow up, is it possible to configure whatever pool
the TP-Processor threads come from?

Thanks!
Tim

Re: question about single Executor for multiple Connectors

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/03/2010 17:24, Timothy J Schumacher wrote:
> My question is:  when i access tomcat via port 8080 I see in my logs
> that the thread that handles my request is called TCThreadPool-N as
> expected, however if I use port 80, though httpd, I see the name of the
> thread that handles my request is named TP-Processor-M.  Does this imply
> that my one Executor is not handling requests from both Connectors?

Yes

>If not why not?

The default AJP implementation does not support an executor. This is
mention (breifly) in the protocol attribute of the AJP connector docs:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/ajp.html

> As a follow up, is it possible to configure whatever pool
> the TP-Processor threads come from?

Yes, but you need to use a different implementation - see previous answer.

Mark