Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> on 2016/07/13 06:49:34 UTC

Cache

Hi,

I've just learned that FreeMarker us using SoftReferences in its cache
implementation. I'm wondering if it would make sense to use the same
in Struts & OGNL instead of ConcurentHasMaps?

http://freemarker.org/docs/api/freemarker/ext/util/ModelCache.html
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/ref/SoftReference.html

Regards
--
Ɓukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Cache

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
> Hi,
>
> I've just learned that FreeMarker us using SoftReferences in its cache
> implementation. I'm wondering if it would make sense to use the same
> in Struts & OGNL instead of ConcurentHasMaps?
>
> http://freemarker.org/docs/api/freemarker/ext/util/ModelCache.html

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/ref/SoftReference.html

Not sure if it would be worth it. As far as I understand the javadoc
SoftReference only has a benefit when memory is realy low. In the age of
cloud datacenters memory should not be an issue for most apps, IMHO.

On the other hand: I don't know how much work that would be, which parts
of struts codebase would be affected and how many bugs that could
introduce.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
Christoph